1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

customer wants car buried

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Went to plow a new customer after the Christmas storm. We were planning places to pile snow and the guy said I could put a whole big pile on the other side of a little house. I told him it was pretty tight between the house and a car sitting there. He said "Bury it, then I don't have to look at it." After that I wasn't quite so careful to stay a distance from it like I had been. Couple of passes, I'd see how close I could get without actually hitting it. If we get another storm like that one, under she goes:cool: .

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

LOL, what kind of car is it? Some piece of junk?? Mike

3. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

LOL One word of caution, though... Remember the no good deed goes unpunished thing. He may have absolutely no comprehension of the possibility of snow weight and damage to the car, and decide to pull a prick move and try to hit you up for damages... Just a heads up, that you might want to make sure that you and the guy fully understand what's going on.

4. Mick

from Maine

I don't really know. A blue small station wagon, like a Taurus or Cavalier. When I'd been there earlier in the season, he'd said he was going to have it moved by snowfall. Guess he just didn't get around to it.

5. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

We plowed an apartment complex last year and there was a car parked right in front of the only place we could easily pile the snow in one particular lot. We talked to the maintanance guy and after several phone calls (from him to the car's owner) and a few orange "move this car or it will be towed" stickers, the car was still there and he told us to just go ahead and burry it.

We did and guess what? By the next time we went out to plow, the car was moved:D

6. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Both of my apartment complexes (one is 200 plus units and the other is 36 units) are lets just say full of "less desirable tenants" HUD supported and ALOT of the cars don't seem to ever move (don't work?, car or owner hehehehe)

I do my best to not bury the ones that someone actually owns, the ones with the broken windows and flat tires get buried. Actually brought the skid steer to the smaller place and I dragged the cars to one area of the complex.

The big complex also has alot of "trustafarians" mommy and daddy send their kid to Colorado for a little R&R and give the kid a Subaru outback for those long drives to the slopes. Got one kid who insists on parking in the travel lane in front of his apartment. I go out of my way to leave 5 foot piles on his front and rear bumper.

7. Doctordo

Doctordo Member

Hey Mick thats a good one. I had a guy tell me that the other day and at the same place I had a guy tell me he wanted me to push his car onto the lawn area which was covered with 2 feet of snow. I kind of chuckled and declined of course but it would have been fun.

8. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

trustafarians

thats funny, here in Ma. we call them the Kennedy kids

SOmeone wanted me to bury their car I'd get it in writing !!!. Absolving you from any problem it may cause

Last edited: Dec 29, 2002
  9. bigtime

bigtime Junior Member

Mick where in maine are ya? Gorham here!

10. Mick

from Maine

Bigtime, check your PM if you haven't already.

11. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Is this "buried" car belong to the customer or is it someone else's? If it's not his, I'd be cautious and avoid his peculiar request since you never know how a future dispute could involve you.

12. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

mick,
    i would get something in writing from the cars owner, stating, his request, that if the cars damaged your not responsible, etc. while stacking snow, it would be too easy to crush a door, fender, quarter panel, or maybe pop out some glass. just be carefull on this one.

13. Mick

from Maine

It's his or at least he said it is. It apparently just needs to be hauled off and he just hasn't gotten around to it. He lives in the woods about a quarter mile off the "road".

14. citybobcat

citybobcat Junior Member
    from NYC

I plow a large parking lot for a Major Supermarket It is located right next to a train station. People just park in it and get on the train BOY O Boy do they come home to a surprise after work! Then they go inside the store to complain and it falls on deaf ear's !

15. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Usually my boss and I give them a warning push behind their vehicle like if they are parked in a fire lane at one of his apartments and if he comes back later that day to cleanup again, and it's still there, we bury the thing. :D And there is no way they can't see any of the like 6 signs that say fire lane, no parking here at any time is allowed. So you got to take care of business ;) Especially when it's the only place to stack the snow so...