1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

customer tells you best plow job then.........

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by windrowsnow, Nov 26, 2008.

1. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

so i had a chain of 12 stores picked up middle of last season plowed the rest of the season. managers say its been the best job in years never seen anyboy plow all the locations so fast and have the lots so clean. disrtict manager tells me you will always have our snow work. come to find out this season i have none of them they want four contractors to handle 3 stores each it wasnt price or quality and they are allready locked in for this season. i happen to leave one tonight and they are accepting bids....one manager was saying the guy last year was never on time did a horrible job and the slip and fall was our fault....not to mention they dont want to be salted.

2. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

maybe they got you mixed up with the guy you replaced in the middle of the season?

3. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

My experience with picking up accounts in the middle of the season is that one of two things happened. Either the company plowing was fired, or the customer didn't pay and got dumped by the company that was plowing. With that said I try to stay away from them because they probably didn't pay and I don't want to be the second company they screw that winter.

4. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

paid me cash 7 days after each event. just cant believe that the manager would tell me we did such a great job and then oh well its not price or service each gm wants to deal with a smaller company. then when i leave a store they are accepting bids? just dont understand.
    but all my past cumstomers didnt want to rebid they just said fax over new contracts. we arent accepting bids this year.

5. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Most places that have to change mid season are trouble. Beware
    Also,
    12 chain stores paid you cash a week later? Seriously? What chain?

6. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

family videos...but like i said the store i left i inquired about the snow and there they are paying at the end of the month proly cash yet again. but its always the cheapest contractor at these places i bid the grass out and i was beaten by a guy that told them 20.00 per location. lets keep it real that guy is paying them to mow the lawn

7. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i bid on them last year around here, they saw my price and told me i was almost double what they have paid in the past. after the first storm i could see why i think a 2 year old could have done a better job. they got what they paid for.

8. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Dont work for FV, they go with the cheapest and only want pushing at over two inchs. There lots always look bad

9. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Either that or they had completely unrealistic expectations. Either way, probably not a good idea for a pick up.

10. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Are they really that bad? I put a bid in with our local one, but the manager said that she had already signed with somebody for this winter. But she took my bid. And she was really nice. I'm going to bid on their mowing this spring. And I'm going to be earlier about it.

11. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Those type of chain store location have to go after the "Low Bid" in order to cut expenses. We have learner for our past bidding experience that it is a waste of our time to bid for summer and winter services. The best is to bid large "cash cow" locations and skip the need for all the hassel of running all over town to multiple locations. Much better to only have to go to a few places rather than...... 30 ! :cry:

12. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

That is true, fine a few quality jobs and keep them happy. To much driving around costs money. I see in your info you are the #1 snow plow company in Indy. Who decides this. Just wondering?

13. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

i wouldnt waste your time with the lawn bid...sure they are super nice in each store but like i said in my previous post 20.00 per location thats insane...i wont drop my gate for less than 30.00

14. GTLS

GTLS Member

Whats an average price for you guys(for an average sized commercial lot)? And how do you charge? Is it per storm, per season?

15. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

to many variables to give a price your average size might not be my average size. and its per push

16. GTLS

GTLS Member

Per push? That's an interesting way to do it. Clever. Does it range depending on how long that push is?

17. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Personally, if we have room to add to a route, I will pick some up mid-season for filler. If THEY called us, then I will only take them on after they sign for remainder of year AND next season.