1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

customer questioning invoice

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by jonniesmooth, Dec 13, 2015.

1. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

I sent my invoices out Dec.2 for one event in Nov.(the19th) and for an event Dec. 1&2. Those were the three days that we had billable events.

In Nov. we also had 9 days of rain and varying temps around freezing, so I was ready to salt if needed, but the temps stayed high enough that it wasn't required.

Same thing in Dec. so far, 8 days of rain and temps close to freezing.

How do you bill for monitoring conditions, if no service is required?
    I just added it to the billable days.
    What would you charge?
    I am charging $20

My insurance man says I should salt "per request" to shift the liability to them. But I really prefer to be proactive and do it ahead of the game, as the manager is off site and when he calls I may be unable to get there quickly.

These are apt. buildings and I check them every morning, regardless of precipitation, because the tenants often bring out old furniture etc. that the garbage truck doesn't take and I have to haul to the dump so that they aren't in the way when I do have to plow.
    I charge $20/piece of debris plus dump fees.

Thanks in advance for your help!
  2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Am I reading this right? You want to charge them for watching the weather?
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What does your contract state you can charge?

BTW, I've been monitoring the weather since November 1 and will until at least April 15.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Your the garage man too?
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Sounds like he did.

My I suggest, a mix of sessional with your per push...

Unless it's in your contract you can't charge for watching to see if it snowed or froze.

When they question your invoice what are you going to tell them?
  6. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction Senior Member

That's part of the job. Luckily I don't have to do it right now because I'm a sub and they tell me when to go out. When I did do it though, it's a lot of sleepless nights watching radars, looking at temps, and driving to sites to see what conditions are like. It's part of the game. Gotta add the "non-productive" time into your billable hours and prices. Just like full time business, you have to include drive time, non-productive, and productive hours to your bids.
  7. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I would say this is another reason not to Low Ball Price. Bid High and provide a High Quality Service. I do not Bill for looking at the weather or checking conditions.
  8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

X2Thumbs Up
    It should have been factored into your price of doing business.
    Ie you all ready charged them for watching the weather.
    As it is in your price, as is fuel cost, maintance, etc etc
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like he's doing it on his own and then trying to bill them for it.
  10. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I guess if they will pay it more power to you. Please let us know how it goes over.
  11. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

If I tried that I'd loose my customers. As far as garbage I'll tell the manager to move it, if they don't move it in a realistic timeframe I'll bury it.
  12. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Would like to see what this contract says u can bill for
    Around here you would be either fired for jacking up the bill or they would just laugh at you
    And make sure your contract states about the garbage you get paid it just wasted some of your own money
    It's hard enough to get paid for what's in your contract never mind stuff you do outside the contract
  13. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

So I guess maybe the question I should have asked is, "How do you decide when to salt, when it rains for two days straight and the temps are between 32 and 38 degrees?" He paid the invoice, I was asking for help wording the explanation of the level of service so he understands.
    I'm not charging for getting up every hour when they forecast snow, I know that's part of the game.
    So nobody ever goes out thinking they might have to salt somewhere, and then not have too? And you do that for free? Or some of you did say that it's factored in to the per push/event price, like I did.
    So I guess that's my answer.
    Thanks for the input!
  14. immortal.ben

immortal.ben Member

Its part of the bid price. How could it be anything else?

My contracts, where the customer wants de-icer, states that I will salt every time I plow and whenever icy conditions are likely to exist.
  15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

A lot of guys do drive around and cheek out sites to see if they need serviceing. Some watch the local temps closely, some have been doing it for so long they get a feel for it, and we all still show up to a site just to find there is nothing to do,
    This pro, level of service is reflected in our price.
    Just becuse you want to work doesn't mean you get to charge for your anxiety,

we do get it.
  16. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I charge for site monitoring...plowing is free:D
  17. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Why are you handeling the garbage? don't say its in the way, the plow will move it. You would only charge someone here one time for looking at a site and not doing any service.
  18. Snow tracker

Snow tracker Senior Member

There are many mornings I take a ride at 4:30, looks at a few lots, get out of the truck and walk on the pavement just to see if it is slippery. This may include winter rain events when temps are close to freezing. I do not charge extra for this but figure it is built in to the over all price of my service.
  19. cbservicesllc

cbservicesllc PlowSite Fanatic

20. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I will sometimes put it on the bill

"site checked for slippery conditions, no service required" $0.00.

This way they know we are actively monitoring things and are using judgement to determine when service is needed.