1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

customer put me in his will?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mulcahy mowing, Jan 22, 2012.

1. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

I currently run a small operation plowing only residential driveways as I also work a full time job. I am very selective in chosing what driveways I plow trying to keep my route tight. I have one client, my first client, who is the exception. He lives six miles or so from my next closest account. He's an older gentlemen who really needs me when it snows. He always is the first drive to get pushed. Last night when I was cleaning up the last few accounts he called (he always calls and says thanks) as we were talking he mentioned he was headed out snowblow a path for the oil man. I finnished the last drive and headed over to do it for him. I wasnt expecting to get paid for it, something inside me just made me go. I got there just in time to see him struggling to get the snow blower out of the garage. I shoveled a path for the oil man and the mail man. As I was shoveling he went into the house and came back out with a piece of paper and a pair of leather gloves. He handed me the gloves and said "here take these you need these" I tried to say no but he wouldnt have any of it. He then showed me the paper. My heart stopped as I read what it said. It was his last will and testament, he left me a good portion of his worldly possessions. He looked to me and said "James, your a great kid you always answer when I call and when I need you. your there for me. No matter what it is. I can't even get my own son to help me when I need it"

I am still in shock, total disbelief. I always under charge this guy I make sure no one can compete with me on my price I do that to take care of him and thank him for helping me get my start. but he always pays me very well, more than what anyone could ever charge. tonight I looked up the gloves, they sell for $100...

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else. have you ever had a customer become a friend like this?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Never heard of that happening before. On the other hand you must have great customer service. Id be in shock too though.

3. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

This is why we do what we do. Yes it is about making money, but to help someone who needs you is another thing, making friends, and keeping accounts year after year is an awesome thing, I know that I love to go to my customers in the summer and say, "do you want me to plow again?" and then it makes me so happy to hear them say "of course, I couldn't ever get a better plow guy if I tried." It gives you that feeling inside like you are making a difference. Congrats, you seem like a great caring person, the world needs more like you. :salute:

4. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Thats awesome man! Now, lets just hope the jerk son doesn't contest the will when it comes time.....

5. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Beware the children !!! They are going to be some upset when they get wind of what their father has done . I have several senior citizens on my route that I plow for free and shovel their walks . Mine however are poor as church mice , but I love them still . When I shoot a deer they get most of the venison , in the summer they get fresh vegetables . It's just my way of thanking the great generation for keeping the country free . Many of their generation (WWII) gave everything , unlike the present generation , who want everything given to them !! Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !

6. combiking

combiking Junior Member

I have heard of things like this. One of my customers friend is a nurse from what they said she is just a normal down to earth person. She was looking after an older guy in his home. He passed away and left her every thing for taking care of him. He set her up nicely, they said she is now a multi millionaire.

7. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Great! I do not plow for money. I bought a plow because I have a long driveway and was getting up in years and both daughters also had long driveways that need plowed. I also do a few friends and a couple of older people who can't afford to have it commercially done. The other day while I was getting ready to plow out a friends driveway the woman across the street ask me how much I would charge to do hers. I said I plow for entertainment and do not charge. I told there I would do her driveway and after completing it she came up to my wife who was riding with me and tried to give her some money. I turned to her and said if your are religious just say a prayer for us tonight if not a thank you would do just fine.

8. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Good for you! One of the better stories I've heard in a while. Keep up the good work, the world needs more people like you, who realize you gotta do the right thing sometimes.

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Awesome story, I have a few customers that I feel that same way about. While I don't think I"m in their wills, they always tip well and truly appreciate what my company does for them. Like others have said though, I'm not there for the tips, just to help these people out because I enjoy doing it and hate the thought of something happening to them if they were to try to do something both they and I know they shouldn't try to do.

What gets me is thinking of how some people in this "industry" truly wouldn't care for the needs of these people and potentially treat them like **** because they ask for a little more sometimes. I'm NOT saying lowball every old or disabled persons driveway that calls just to get it as to try to help them out, as there have been times where someone i really feel bad for wants me to plow but I just cant do it, what I mean though is being aware of how doing something VERY simple can go a long way to help some people. (sorry if i didn't word that well, it sounded better in my head lol)

10. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

I still have the very first account i ever picked up when i started landscaping, I mow and plow her property for free now. Her husband was actually very sick with cancer when i picked the property up and he had been doing all the yard work for like 40 years before i got there. He was only alive for like a month when i started but he would watch me like a hawk when we were out mowing. This woman is like my grandma.

11. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I mow and plow a property for a customer like this. It's way out of my way, a customer from way back when I plowed for everyone who answered my ad. I've since condensed my route but still have him as a customer. I spread mulch for him, washed his windows, cleaned the gutters, painted for him...he's an excellent customer. Always pays more than what I charge him. While I doubt I'm in the will, he has become a great friend over the years. I love when I find customers like this, just wish they were all so great. Congrats to you, and keep up the good work.

12. cod8825

cod8825 Member

Mulcahy

First that is awesome to hear and makes most of the people on here glad to hear stories like that. Like most on hear we are big into respect both giving and receiving and taking care of familes, churches, friends and such. I am wondering if it is possible for you to get in contact with his son and say something about what has occurred.

I know when my parents get older and my wifes also we will be there all the time possibly looking at moving them into our house to help. It was done this way for thousands of years why should it change now. My heart brakes to hear the dad talking of his son in such a way and I would want to let him know. But the son already might know????

Just my 2 cents

Matt

13. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Well I have one, this lady that I plow her drive, treats me like her grand kid, she tips me every year. She used to be a judge, and told me if I ever got a ticket, just give it to her. So a few years later I got a ticket for going 13 over, gave it to her like instructed and she fought it, and got it dropped to impeding traffic. And paid it for me! That was 150$! I plow her drive for free now, nice lady. Oh and I also got hot coco from a lady once :)
    The nice clients are the best, usually older people, if i have done their drive for a while, I'll do it for free. Also, if you see a senior out shoveling snow, do it for them, it'll take you two minutes and you may just pick up an account!

14. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Pretty cool story Thumbs Up

15. mulcahy mowing

Thanks everyone, maybe its karma.

Cod8,
    He told me "my some makes 6 figures a year and has no intrest in doing anything for anyone". If I knew who he was or more about him I would tell him his father is a great man, but iim not sure its my place. it breaks my heart as well.

16. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Great story mulcahy I have customers like this also, when I first started plowing I went through a couple neighborhoods dropping business cards in mailboxes, had this nice older couple call me, I only charged them 10 bucks, every year they call me before the snow even flies, to make sure I'm plowing. I've been plowing for over ten years they were my first customer, since then I have over 20 driveways in this area( none of them are getting charged 10) except for that first customer its great to meet nice people.

17. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

So I guess now it's just a waiting game. Let us know how it turns out...

18. cheffy

cheffy Junior Member
    from Sconsin

I have several customers like this some become closer to your heart. I mow for a lady that is a good friends grandma. She always says when your done come to the house. Any thing from candy canes to cookies( oh did I mention canned salmon too. ) Some customers really appreciate us.

19. mulcahy mowing

I will keep you all posted. I hope he lives many more years and is happy!

20. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Great Story and like others have said .... beware of the children