1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Customer Problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dmjr77, Jan 26, 2006.

1. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

I have a customer who is accusing me of plowing a 1/4in the past snow events.

He is claiming "the total accumalation for the month was only 2.77 inches & the temperature during the month exceeded 55 degrees"

How should I handle it? I know we have had alot of rain here in NH and the customer lives out of state. Can anyone direct me to a place where I can find average snow fall totals?

Thank You
  2. rembrandt100

rembrandt100 Member

I would narrow that down to a daily snowfall amt. You should be able to get that from the local weather service. Average snowfall would not mean much if you charge on a per push.

Your trigger is 2 inches

4 times you get a 1.5 inch fall ...........total 6 inches

2 times you get a 3 inch fall............total 6 inches

You did not plow the 4 falls but you plowed once each on the others. But average is still 6 inches.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Well, if this guy is out of state and not even around on the days it snows, how does he know what it did on his property? I've had several accounts where I take care of out-of-state owners that want me to assure access to their house when they decide to come up. I always send detailed billing showing when and how much I plowed/sanded, but the main aspect was trust. They would just have to trust me for what I said I did. One couple I just charged so much and I plowed and sanded everything that fell for the winter (snow, anyway, not rain).

I would advise letting this guy go. If he's going to challenge you without even being there, it's not worth it. As far as places that show snowfall averages, there are some paid sites that might show snowfall for your general area, but would it be worth what it would cost? I'd also want to know where he's getting his information from and how far that 2.77" was measured from his property. Just sounds like he thinks he's got somebody he can push around.
  4. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

If you get it worked out and continue with him take a picture every time you plow with the time and date.

I have to agree with Mick
  5. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

customer problems

This customer believes he got ripped off or he is a bully thug. I don't know how you would figure out, long distance which he is. The weather bureau data is not an accurate accounting of the snow that fell at his house. It is an accurate accounting that fell at the weather bureau office. As I have said in other posts, you have to build a trust with customers. The customer should trust you also. Sounds like this is not there. I would just advise him that you follow the agreement you have with him, you are in this snow plowing for the long haul and you feel bad that he feels violated.

BTW all the 1/4 inch plowers are here in Akron Ohio... Yup the last snow we had that was well less than the 2 inch trigger was plowed here. People plowed 500 ft and had a 2 inch pile at end of the push. I felt lucky that we had enough snow to salt. Today the temps are going into the 40s.

Good luck to you Don. Maybe you can tell him all them 1/4 inch plower are here in NE OH.. they all left NH years ago !!! sorry for the bad humor.

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

I've seen snowfall amounts vary from one end of town to the other,

All of my accounts get serviced every am. if there is ANY thing to push/ we push. and then we salt.

what might help w/ your customer, ( if you want to keep him? ) is just call him on a cell every time! and get the OK to do what ever.
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

That would be a good one. I'd suggest that, too. Especially since I start plowing about 3:00 AM. Politely say "Just checking to make sure you want your place plowed. I realize you're not here, but just wanted to check since you had a question about your last bill. Thank you, sir. Hope you get back to sleep now." Do this whether it's 2" or 12".
  8. fencepost1

fencepost1 Junior Member

It is like last night I was up in Wolfeboro and there was like 2-3" of snow at like 12. When I got to Laconia there was nothing but dry ground. 30 miles away

Bill this guy anyway you did a service and he needs to pay. I billed 8 times for the year
  9. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

sounds like he is looking at the total precipitation for the month not the total snowfall amount.
  10. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

The guy probably looked in the damn almanac in the July section lol
  11. G-LSCPE

G-LSCPE Junior Member

DM Not sure how your contract is worded, but ours clearly states that plowing/salting commence shall be at contractor discretion. Something to consider for fall back purposes.