1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Customer packing heat

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Jan 2, 2010.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Snow removal dispute leads to armed threat, arrest

By: Luke Jennett, staff writer
    Published: Monday, December 28, 2009 12:47 PM CST
    An argument over snow removal allegedly led to a woman threatening a man with a gun last week, according to Ames police.

Marilyn Jean Koch, 64, of 313 Village Drive, was arrested and charged with intimidation with a dangerous weapon for allegedly pulling a gun on a man around 11:20 p.m. Christmas Day, Dec. 25.

Police received a call about a female pointing a gun at the victim, Justin Van Driel. When officers arrived, Van Driel said he had been in a verbal argument with Koch about snow removal.

Van Driel said Koch pointed what appeared to be a shotgun with a red laser at him while he was in his vehicle. She reportedly asked him if he wanted her to use the weapon against him. He said she pointed the weapon at him again, but this time without the laser sight.

Officers spoke to Koch, who said she had only pointed a handheld laser pointer and a BB gun at Van Driel, but she said had been upset with him about the snow removal. Officers found several weapons with Koch, among them a 20-gauge shotgun with an attached laser, a .410-gauge shotgun, two BB guns, three .22-caliber rifles and a 16-gauge shotgun.

Cmdr. Mike Brennan, of the Ames Police Department, said he couldn’t elaborate on the exact nature of the dispute between the two, but noted that police tend to see an increase of escalated disputes during the winter holiday season.

“You’re always amazed at the kinds of calls you get over the holidays,” he said.
  2. grandview

Published Monday December 28, 2009
    Snow plow driver punched, stabbed

By Juan Perez Jr.
    « Metro/Region

Just before 2:30 a.m. Sunday, in the parking lot of an Omaha auto parts store, Mark Christensen sat inside the pickup truck he uses as a snowplow and quietly filled out some paperwork.

Two young men walked into the lot and approached Christen*sen's door — they needed to use a cell phone, they said.

Christensen, 49, said he took his eyes off them and glanced over at his phone. That's when they pounced, he said.

One man grabbed the front of Christensen's shirt, jerked him down and punched him several times. The second man reached around the back of Christensen's head and tried to stab him with a short knife he clenched between his fingers.

“They wanted my truck,” Christensen said. “It caught me off-guard; I didn't have nothing in my truck to fight with except bags of cookies.”

The man with the knife planted a deep gouge in the back of Christen*sen's neck, near the top of his spinal column.

“I knew because I felt the warm blood coming all over,” Christensen said.

Christensen's cousin was in another snowplow on the opposite side of the building near 60th and Grover Streets. He saw the pair run north after Christensen managed to fight them off.

They jumped a nearby fence and disappeared.

Police were called. By then, Christensen had lost enough blood to soak through the four layers of shirts he was wearing.

He drove himself to a hospital and checked out around 7 a.m. with five staples sealing the long, jagged wound in the back of his neck.

No arrests had been made in the assault.

Strong-armed robbery attempts are common, said an Omaha police spokesman, but assaults on snowplow drivers are not.

“I don't know when that has happened before,” said Officer Jacob Bettin, the spokesman.

Christensen said he was feeling fine by Sunday evening, although he was still a little nauseated. He had been scheduled to plow all day, but he ended up taking the afternoon off.

“I'm locking my doors a lot more often,” he said.
  3. Premier

Premier Senior Member

Wow. I had herd about the second story, not the first.. what is wrong with people today?
  4. grandview

What happen to the days when they offered a hummer to plow the driveway?
  5. Flawless

Flawless Junior Member

I worry about that alot. I take a few small lots in down town Columbus Ohio then a large account outside of down town Mt. Vernon ave Not some were you want to be at 3 a.m Six years will no problems knock on wood.
  6. leeddog65

leeddog65 Member

People are just messed up.

I do a few places on the west side of Chicago, its not to bad in the winter months, not like people are hangin out all hours, but I would NOT want to landscape there in the summer on a weekend when traffic is lighter....lol

Everyone just be aware of your surroundings, NOT the way I would like to lose competition
  7. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Know whats even worse? Tow truck drivers! No one wants there car towed, and boy do people get pissed! At least while plowing most people are happy to see us.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

The women got older and the plow guys upped the price.

Well except the "low-ballers".:laughing:
  9. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

We carry guns everywhere we go. Except for this winter since we are in illinois which doesn't honor or allow concealed carry (dumb). People are outta their minds everywhere I sure as hell use my 2nd amendment right to protect myself and my property as much as I possibly can.
  10. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I don't understand why people have to be so pissed off about everything now a days.
  11. Indy

Indy Senior Member

My wifes been a cop for 31 years.
    We just had a discusion over what happened to disagreements.

She says she used to go to a call and someone had a scratch or black eye

Now, they are stabbed, shot or dead.......and just skip right over punching it out:eek:

I also think that was her way of telling me to cut the grass........:laughing:
  12. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

I carry everwhere I can legally. I think more armed citizens = less crime. CPL's are one of the few good things about Michigan.
  13. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I always carry when I'm pushing snow. I have only had one shouting match over the years and even then we both stayed in our vehicles. I hope I never have to draw the gun.

About 40 miles north, in Denver, they had 13 bank robberies in one week. The average take was a little over $2,000. Not much money for a 20 year sentence.
  14. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

the world is a getting a lot smaller ,why cant people just take a chill pill and grab a breath and think about there action's just a little bit .there is just nothing that bad that that is worth busting a cap on on some one's smart ass mouth ! when they let their ass over load there mouth ,thing's get out of hand ! i know if any body gave my ole man grief he might have a convenient 45 caliber flash back to 1965 jungle time !:gunsfiring:
  15. Winterized

Winterized Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  16. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I googled that address.

I lived at the corner of Franklin and Tripp for about 2 years. before I moved to Iowa city. I also used to plow the snow on the streets in that neighborhood.

Its alot of smaller duplex units and other rental properties in that area, plus its a kind of a quiet neighborhood.

Crazy world
  17. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

Love it! Ted hit the nail on the head as usual.
  18. nhpatriot

nhpatriot Senior Member

.45ACP and .357 Magnum on board for social work.

Treat people with the highest respect, and always have a plan to kill them if need be.
  19. triadpm

triadpm Member
    from 21771

I second that
  20. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

I plow some lots and driveways that are off the beat and path. I always lock the door to my truck and keep the windows up when I am plowing late at night. I have never had a problem but figure that being out late at night your like a target to get mugged. With my doors locked I figure if somone tries somthing I could drive off and if the have a gun run them over with the plow.