1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Customer Disagrees with snowfall total

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Patrick34, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Patrick34

Patrick34 Member

I have a customer that disagrees with the snowfall total on one particular event. Is anyone aware of an online service that tracks snowfall totals by location?
  2. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

there should be a site

Look under weather History for your area
    Hope this helps
    I,m In Canada and i use wunderground you may have one for your state
    Good Luck
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Weatherunderground for sure. I send a copy of the pertinent locations with the bill. It's my unofficial official billing depth. The printout looks great, a slash of highlighter for their area, and I generally do my billing calculations in pencil on the sheet. Haven't had any complaints from customers and I feel they're accurate.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Each snow event now with this customer take a picture. Get a Polaroid camera and take a picture of the ruler in the snow at their lot. Then add a $10.oo snow confirmation charge to the bill.
  5. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

This is exactly why I don't charge by the inch. You would need to measure every driveway as each one could be different depending on location. Then you have the problem of drifting, do you charge by the deepest snow, the least amount or just average the whole drive?

You could use a weather station or airport for a standard but what if the weather station has 8" and your customers have 3", they certainly aren't going to be happy being charged for 8". Or just the opposite, the WS has 3" and your customers have 8", you plow 8" and charge for 3".

Also 5" of heavy wet snow is a whole lot different than 5" of powder.
  6. Daner

By the Inch

Ihave to agree with that ...Charging by the Inch...Causes alot of greef between us and the customers....like the gentelman before me stated ...That one station (weather) can be so much diferent then the other...And the drifts??? what can you do call the customer outside at 5 am and show him the snow stick lolxysport
    The only customers that i will charge by the amount of snow will be a emergency call customer...Fast service for the big bucks :bluebounc
    There may be an easier way to deal with this...That i don,t know
    But for now i just charge a flat rate per push....Then i say payup :)
  7. Tri-County INC.

Tri-County INC. Member

measure snow

i not sure where we got them but the markers that we use have one inch marks on them place them around the lot and use this as a guide, or simply paint a line were you want to start plowing, like i said not sure were we get those, but never have a problem with not enough snow.
  8. Daner

Thats a good way to start the season off when the ground is not frozen
    Tri....Watch out for those little ole ladies....They may want to get up at 4am and pull the sticks up 3"wesport ...LOL:waving: xysport
  9. Tri-County INC.

Tri-County INC. Member

good point

any old lady gettin up a 4 am should be on my sidewalk crews... the are way more profitable, lol