1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Customer Complaint!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PrecisionS&I, Dec 27, 2013.

1. PrecisionS&I

PrecisionS&I Member
    from Ohio

I just have to throw this out there for some feed back, yesterday we got 1/4" to 1/2" of snow. Started at about 4:30 a.m. lasted to about 8:30 a.m.

Called the guys out around 5:00 a.m. to salt our accounts, and they finished salting at about 10:00 a.m.

So at 10:30 I get a call from the manager at a hotel that we do (went to my voice mail due to being at the doctor with my daughter) saying we need to get out there and salt that they have customers with luggage that cant get to there cars and we need to salt more than one pass down the middle of the drive lane.

I call my salt truck that was still out to get over there and salt the lot and take care of it.

He was 2 minutes away and calls me right back and says the lot is down to pavement and it looks great says he doesn't have anything to salt. I tell him to go in and talk to the manager to see what we can due to fix the "problem".

He calls me back said that she went outside with him to show him the problem areas - She was talking about the snow between the parked cars and the snow in the single parking spots that cars have left. He explained to her that we cant spread salt with our spreaders between parked cars and in single spaces because the salt will damage the cars if it hits them. She then tells him that we will have to spread the salt by hand.

This is NOT a zero tolerance account, it is a seasonal plow 2" trigger with salt per app less than 2" and hotel maintenance takes care of the walks.

I have not talked to the manager yet, I was sleep deprived yesterday and figured I should rest before calling on such a Ludacris complaint. Figured I would throw it out to the masses for feedback!

Thanks.

2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like she needs a price for hand salting and/or a cleanup charge for mid day.
    We don't service spots less than 2 wide.

3. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I think you did the right thing, waiting to talk to her until you've had some sleep. We got 18" over a three day stretch, and the whiners came out of the woodwork. It was just before Christmas, and I saw no Christmas spirit around here. I had been going pretty much steady for the three days. A lady who works out of a rental space with 3 parking spaces, in the large retail lot I do, called me to complain that I wasn't there to clean the roof blow out of her three spaces. I was just getting home after it was over when she called. I wanted to tell her to go puck herself. Guess who gets less service now? Good luck.

4. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Some people are never happy. Really not a good way to go about it since the only thing you can do is offer to hand salt at an additional charge which she won't like. Tell her the first car that parks there will melt the snow from the salt that drips off.

5. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

There may be more to it than you realize...We had a second round of snow that came in (big flakes second round) started around 9-9:30 AM (depending on where you were standing). If she had just looked out her window, she may have seen white out conditions for a while. Late morning to early afternoon the snow bands moved out and you needed sun glasses. The preexisting salt should have melted it off quickly, which is probably what happened.

My guess is someone complained and she made the call. After it melted off fast, she probably felt foolish and that was her weak attempt to save face. Westward and South of the Cleveland didn't need much if there was existing salt, more East; plowing and salting was required by mid to late morning.

It doesn't help that Nov & Dec are two of the worst months for a lot of hotels. Hotel managers can get really goofy when there is more going out than coming in.

6. PrecisionS&I

PrecisionS&I Member
    from Ohio

This was not in Cleveland, in a county south east of Cleveland and she took my driver outside and showed him the snow between the cars. My driver was there 5-10 minutes after she called.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Bingo, and that's only if it's easily accessible.

I let my wife handle calls like that, I don't have the patience or diplomacy to be nice to people that are unreasonable.

8. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Absolutely Mamn, we can absolutely do that! $15 for each space between cars, $25 for each open parking space.

9. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Got a similar "complaint" this morning, parking lot looks great but you didn't plow under the busses. I paused for a second, and said "did you hear what you said?" Some of these property managers would make our lives a lot easier if they dropped for just one second before making a "complaint" call

10. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Brains are not ways required to be property managers It's your job to educate them, because it will make your life easier in the long run. And then as they move and look after bigger and better properties you can move with them. :)

11. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

They make remote controlled rc cars with plows, you could offer to use those under the buses, $65 per hour per rc car plus $5 surcharge for the controller :p

12. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

Just wondering if this i your first year with the contract. A return service fee is definitely in order here.

13. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

That literally made me LOL.

14. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, first year, worked it out as a separate service call, I suggested just moving them to a different spot after each snow so more than one snowfall never builds up in the same spot.

15. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Don't worry about your complaints that you got from the management company.

They just fired you, and hired this guy. he said he could do it for 1/2 price

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdCSkis5TSo

Don't worry. He's much more accurate with his plow than you could ever be...:p

16. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

Hotels are tough. Ive heard everything from they peoples cars brushed off to return trips included in the price at a certain time of the day. You have to be very very careful with your wording in your contract on how you charge for what you charge. Every year i get a new contract i always include a few hours of machine work for them and some salt just to make sure everyone knows whats expected/included and whats not. Just be clear with them your drivers not gonna sit and wait for cars to be moved and your contract didnt include plowing under things. :drinkup:

17. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

If he was smart, he'd hang some French doors and make that a V plow

18. Landgreen

Landgreen Member

Lol.

I cant believe Im gonna say this but that contraption worked ok. And he has more plowing skills than some of the contractors I see around here.

19. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Now that's funny, right there.

20. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

explain to the manager what she did...next time tell her to call back after she has all the patrons move their cars!