1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Customer Complaining

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by davink, Mar 11, 2008.

1. davink

davink Member

Hey guys a little help needed here. I did this lot once, because they had trouble with former contractor.. I was going to have them sign on for the remainder of this year, and next if they wanted continuous coverage. I am wondering what you guys would think would be ball park charge for plowing this area. Plowing only, no salt or sand. Keeping clear throughout storm... this is a church and a homeless shelter that is opperated there, so there are people coming and going constantly. There are usually some cars there too, although if you have time to wait, they try to come out and move them.

The paved area is probably around 13000 sq ft but the only place to pile snow is around the 90o turn to the left there, and there are 6 garage bays there that you need to back drag from. Then there i a chainlink fence blocking the area between the paved and unpaved area that also needs to be plowed. There is a dumpster in the unpaved area near the chainlink fence that needs to be accesible and they park cars there. The total area that needs to be plowed is like 18000, to 20000 sq ft roughly.

Any input you can give would be appriciated!! Thanks Guys

church.jpg

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  2. davink

davink Member

It occured to me once I posted the thread that is was kind of hard to see the area with the labels on the push pins so here is the pic again with out the labels Thanks again all!!

church2.jpg

3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

That dosent look like fun, but its hard to see size with out being there

Good Luck!

How long dose it take to plow?

4. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

Just remember there is a difference between snow plowing and snow and ice managment.. if they want you to maintain the property make sure you charge for it.

5. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Can't help ya w/ the price as I believe it varies so much from region to region-contractor to contractor but what I can suggest is; Have you given thought to the risk involved in servicing this site? homeless shelter? Not to stereo type people but I've seen it both ways. Some who look for every "opportunity" and some who are "honest as the day is long".
    Just watch your back!

6. davink

davink Member

I am just trying to get a rough idea of what you guys would charge for just plowing... no salt no sand nothing else, just plowing... I quoted them waht I thought was a fair price, and they nearly had a cow about it just curious if I am that far off? Once I get some ideas from you guys I will throuw out there what I quoted with what terms. Thanks

7. davink

davink Member

I have thought about that.. The one thing I did not mention is that this only "wet" shelter in Hartford, meaning people can be high or plastered when the check in to stay there.

8. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

So let's hear your crazy bid & we'll go from there! Freakin religion & charity organizations are gonna be the death of good business. Charitable places, not-for-profits often want to whittle down prices because they don't have a lot of money to begin with. Guess what... charity doesn't pay my bills, and I don't imagine it does for you either. Do you need the work? PITA if you ask me, which you didn't really, but IMO there are so many other places you could service for your asking price WITHOUT hassles. Rant off!!

9. davink

davink Member

Well I was thinking that I would around $200.00 a push, then I asked some guys around here that I know their opinion, and the said about $250./ push. Now I know that the previous guy that was there was having to plow at least two times per storm unless it was a tiny dusting to an inch. and I know that they had flipped out because the previous guy had submitted a bill to them for over 800 for one storm.

Therefore I did what they wanted and gave them a PER STORM price for the rest of this season (not like we are going to have anymore snow anyways) of $375 per storm as many plowings as needed. That way they knew whwere they stood and what it would cost. They are now trying to tell me that they thought it would be $150. to $200 PER STORM unlimetd time needed to plow. WTF at that price I make nothing. As it is if I was to charge $200.00 per push I am only making about $45 per hour after overhead (this place is 22 miles from my home so if I have to go again to just them that is 44 miles round trip not including plowing milage) so to do that at $200 per storm is nuts I think.

Am I way out of the relm here? Maybe I blew it too high by going per storm - I never price that way. What do you think?

10. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

You're never gonna win with them, brother.

I'd tell the person in charge to go to H...

I stand by my previous posting. NOTHING but trouble.

11. davink

davink Member

yeh your right, but do you think that I was unreasonable in my price?

12. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I dont think but again we cant look at it lol

13. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

IMO 1. far away , better off getting sites closer
    2. giving u grief b4 they sign contract
    3. open 24/7 always gonna be cars
    4. no salt, you're gonna get stuck
    5. I'd pass but then I'm seasonal pricing with 165" so far and more tonite
    6. Been out 35+ times so far

14. davink

davink Member

I know that it is too far way. The whole reason that this thing even got started is that a friend works there and after they got rid of thier other plow guy the night before the next snow, she said "oh I know someone who can do it at a great price" and the snowball started rolling. I told them before that I would hep themout for the one storm, but then they would need to contract for the remainder and next year. The whole thing is more trouble than it is worth, I agree, but if I could make a few bucks and help out a worth wild organization, then I am all for that.

15. davink

davink Member

Also I appriciate all the instite as to why I should tell them no, find someone else, but the real thing I am looking for is if you guys think that my price was that far off. I understand you are not nessesarly from around here, prices vary etc... but what does your get tell you?

Thanks Guys

16. Lawn Care Plus

Lawn Care Plus Senior Member

They will be complaining about you too when it comes to paying up.

Count on it.

To make it worth your while ask for a retainer, just like a lawyer, and as soon as they don't pay, slap them with a lien.

Tim

17. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

i dont think ur price was off id say it was alright but i am just reaching here i havent seen it. ur the professional stick to ur guns. people look at me somtimes like i am nuts and they go that much i go ya that much. and either they go go ahead or i leave.

18. BulldogPS

BulldogPS Member

I don't think your price was unreasonable at all, in fact you may still be selling yourself short, its tough to tell looking at just a picture. It sounds like they are looking for something for nothing, I would strongly recommend that you gracefully bow out if you don't see eye to eye on pricing. They want the place kept on high priority throughout a storm and they don't want to pay for it. Save yourself the headache, fuel is too expensive to make multiple trips for low profit. Sucks that a friend spoke on your behalf saying you could do it at a great price, kinda threw you under a bus. good luck.

19. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

After 22" wed-sun a sub I use is charging BUDDIES $400 to float a skidsteer over to clean a 4 car resi driveway. get a couple a day at $150 for a pick up .....165" and counting.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  20. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Davink: Remember. No matter how much of a "deal" you give them you WILL STILL BE HELD TO THE SAME LEVEL OF LIABILITY!!!!
    I very recently had a revelation w/ the firewood end of my business after some jerk off gave me a bad time and then filed a complaint w/ the BBB! NO FRIGGIN" DEALS!
    NO good deed goes unpunished!
    So as said above, if you can't see eye to eye for price then let 'em walk.
    Problems like this are best left to your "favorite" competition!!