1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Customer complain on Sanding price's

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by TPC Services, Jan 4, 2011.

1. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

We plow an sand/salt a pond request these stores an we do 11 of them most of them are under a ton so we charge a $60 min for most of them which is under most my other clients that get a min charge on their stores we go do every time. So he called me to had saying that he could not see paying the $60 for each store when other clowns are charging him $35 per store, WTF!!! I was like ok whatever fine we charge you that. An left it at that. But the more I sit in my office the more I am fuming about this. How in the hell are you doing it for $35 a store even if it only takes ½ which it does on most of these places, Still how in the F are you making money. With sand at $11 a ton delivered salt at $85 a ton gas at $3.00 a gal, and paying a driver $15 a hr let’s say you take all in ½ except the salt take that into ¼’s so cost to spread just spread this material not counting gas, Insurance’s stuff like that is $34.25 per half ton. This is no Frigging way I can do this. What would you say to this guy, I would like to keep the plowing for this year because it’s keeping 4 trucks busy.
  2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

What does your contract that you/him signed say?
    I'd stick to that.
  3. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Open contract, they will not sign contracts, I know, I know to much liabillity with not having one with them, We have done them for 5 years now an yet to have a slip fall issue. They have told me since we do not do their sdwks & sand only when requested that they will take full responsabilty for any of the slip an falls. I know this goes against all my morals but its does keep four trucks busy plowig during the winter.. I really think I will not do work for them next year, We have been at the same plowing prices an now playing this game with themon sanding I'am not making any money so it's not worth my headace to deal with them I'm thinking.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

why post 2 different threads on the same subject?
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Explain to him that you have a $4k sander in the back of a $40k truck. You have to buy sand & fuel. And the time to load up, drive to his site, etc.
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Never give out prices in those situations. Say you will have to work the numbers and get back to him. He probably pulled the $35 out of air but since you agreed to it now I'm not sure how your going to get more. How much sand/salt d o you actually use on all the jobs and how long does the route take, that will give you an idea if you should keep doing it or not.
  7. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

Too late to go back and re-negotiate. I'm sure hes gonna think you are still making money at the $35 and just trying to get more out of him. Like Dave said don't throw numbers out like that
  8. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Head up to his counter with an armful of his products and tell him you are only going to pay 50% of what they are stickered at. Tell him this is the exact same thing. He is in business to make money and so are you. You are being fair at what you charge and you would think he is being fair at what he charges for his products as well. Negotiate from there if you have to.