1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

customer bailout

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by dmcarpentry, Jan 22, 2009.

1. dmcarpentry

dmcarpentry Senior Member
    from maine

Hi Guys I am new here and just looking for some imput.

One of my carpentry customers called at 1 pm at the last 14 inch storm we had and ther plow contrator had not shown up yet. It is a large parking lot for a 5 building apartment complex with 135 units. The storm ended early that morning. I had 2 2007 2500 hd with 8.6 v plows on the site within 30 min. The lot took us about 3 hours with 2 trucks to clean up. What do u think its worth ???

Thanks for the help

Drew

by the way I had already plowed my 28 driveways and 2 roads before I bailed them out.

2. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I probably would have gave them a price Before I started to plow.

6 hours worth of work. What do you charge per hour? There is your price.

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

14" wow! 3 hours x 2 trucks I would go about $600 for up to 6". I would up it to $150 per hour for the quick response and deep snow. $900.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

One thing I learned the hard way long ago was to agree a price up front. That said, I would say for the equivalent of six hours work with an 8 foot plow anywhere between $600 and $850. If you have experience with this type of site, then maybe $900 to $1000.

5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with everyone so far. You should have set your price before you showed up. Bailouts look good for you, by showing up and doing a great job. Makes you look like a real hero, until you give them a bill that you think is fair, and the end up sh$*ing thier pants.

6. QuadPlower

Was it just a verbal agreement? What happens when the other contractor that has a contract gets pissed because you did his work and took his money? I'm not saying mad at you, I'm saying mad at the customer.

7. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

give them a decent price and negotiate a contract for the remainder of the year and next year payup

8. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

If you give them a descent price now, they will expect that every time. I would give them a "bailout bill" and then lower it for the contract.

9. dmcarpentry

from maine

thanks for the imput guys

I charged the customer $800.00 and was just looking to see if i was way off with my pricing.

The customer has paid and was very happy with the work but made it known that they thought i was too expensive. The landscape company that was supposed to show up told the customer that i was outragous and they would only charge $50 an hour. but I think this is a great example of you get what you pay for.

Thanks again

Drew

10. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I love stuff like that. :realmad:
    Let's see, you went with a total lowballer and the guy didn't show up and I gave you a reasonable price ( i would have charged more if they wouldn't sign long term, unknown curbs, emergency response). Then you complain I'm too expensive

But the other guy never showed up!!!!!!!!!!

it's like talking to a wall. They don't even hear what they are saying.

11. dmcarpentry

from maine

here is the property

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=riverside+st+portland+me&amp;sll=37.0625,-95.677068&amp;sspn=33.352165,74.53125&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=43.707966,-70.318851&amp;spn=0.001858,0.004549&amp;t=h&amp;z=14&amp;output=embed&amp;s=AARTsJr0O29ouqkE0zsmxqFxKkVwdb-GrA"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=riverside+st+portland+me&amp;sll=37.0625,-95.677068&amp;sspn=33.352165,74.53125&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=43.707966,-70.318851&amp;spn=0.001858,0.004549&amp;t=h&amp;z=14" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

12. dmcarpentry

from maine

13. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

I thought $600 in hopes of building a relationship. But sometimes you don't want it either and then ya stick it to them.
    The landscaper place only said they'd have been at $50 an hour just to make you look bad. But now their dumb azzes have to stick to that and give work away all winter.

14. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Then you was right on the mark. The key words are "paid" and "very happy". Thinking you are too expensive is a good sign, too, actually.

Very good but expensive - sound familiar?

15. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

If you would of charged them $50 they probably bitched it was to much

16. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i wish i could get every ****** in my area with a pick-up to become a member of this site so that they could get ripped apart for charging outrageously low prices to do some of the commercial lots....i mean there are guys that are charging no lie, 45 to 50.00 per hour for a truck or per trip, its ridiculous. these lots are all of 100 x 600 ft lots, decent sized lots. i charge 40.00 for a small lot i do, but it takes me 20 minutes at most to plow the place, that's reasonable but not 75.00 per trip for two trucks to spend an hour and a half

17. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Hahaha the company that was supposed to show up can only charge $0 an hour cause they didn't show up at all! THat is hilarious, they charge $50 an hour to not show up?

18. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

thats the sad sad truth.

"we may be more expensive, but we'll show up" that might be my new slogan

19. QuadPlower

Good for you. I bet they ask you to bid it next year.

20. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

I know that this post is old, but as I am reading it I realized something. If took 6 hours to do the lot with two V-plows, with 14" of snow, and charged them $800.

The no-shows said that they would do it for $50/hour. Now if they had come like they were supposed to, which at 14" they already should have been there 3 times. So at 50/hr for 1 truck and an estimated time of 6 hours (ok thats an over-estimate but it id take two truck three hours) to clean the lot each time, and if they had come three times, it would have cost $900.

6 hrs x 3 passes = 18 hours

18 hours x $50/hr = $900

Just some food for thought...