1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Customer asking about roof snow removal

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sp3cialized, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Sp3cialized

Sp3cialized Member
    from CT

Anyone ever do this for customers? I just got an email from one of my best customers asking to have this done, but I dont know how I would climb to the top of her roof with 16-18" snow on it...

What's the method here guys? Its a raised ranch with a large porch dormer on the back.
  2. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

3. andyslawns

andyslawns Junior Member

i have seen people use the long concrete finishing tools, cant remember what they are called, but some of them have a pretty long handle, 16-20 ft. with a 24 or 36 in drag at the end of them to drag the snow off, i know you can rent them here. wish i had more info for ya
  4. snowbankr

snowbankr Member

We do it all the time. I put a ladder up, climb to the ridge, start shoveling from the top down, using the snow to hold me. When I get to the bottom, I work towards the ladder to get down. Use a plastic shovel without the metal cutting edge, and don't scrape down to the shingles. Clean out walks and doors after roof is done. 3 winters ago, my contractor/friend did an average of 6 a day, between his calls and mine, 7 days a week, for approx. 3 1/2 weeks. about 135 total roofs. $$$ was excellent, bodies were junk. Actually showed up to do one at 10 o'clock at nite. Guy asked if we were serious. Asked how we knew where the roof was, I said "we stay where its white, the black area is the end of the roof...we don't go there. Slid off one one time, dented a gutter, landed in a forsythia bush...free pruning job, people sold the house, home inspector put the gutter on the front of teh house is bent..to this day, its still that way!!
  5. Sp3cialized

Sp3cialized Member
    from CT

So what do I charge? per foot of snow per sq foot of area Im removing snow from.. etc..
  6. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Manual labour time really. I charge out $45 hr per person to do a job like this. More if the roof is a steep pitch and more again if we need safety harnesses. No job is worth doing if you are going to break your neck by not keeping you and yourself safe. Impress that upon the owner as well. My old man just turned 84 and sadly he is 10 hours away from me, more when it snows as the Rocky Mountains lay between he and I, yet there he is out on the roof of a 2 story house clearing off snow with a shovel.
  7. espyj

espyj Member

Absolutely no reason to be on the roof. Buy a roof rake. They're $50-100 and have 14-20' handles on them. I personally feel that if I can't reach what I need to with that, its not worth my safety over a couple bucks an hour.

I charge $40/hour for myself or one of my guys to clear snow from roofs.
  8. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

You probably need to check with your insurance. I am sure this will not fall under your snow removal classification. You may not be insured for this type of work.
  9. exactly what i was gonna say. I know I was not insured for this---meaning actuall rooftop work, when I looked into it and was not worth adding for me as it is a rare event here and usually is done by roofing contractors around here anyhow.
  10. snowbankr

snowbankr Member

Charge my man hour labor rate, tell the potential client what that is, Never did one for flat fee as you can get burned at the end by client saying they "thought" this and that was in the deal...shouldn't take that long. If they balked, we just gave 'em a card, told them to call if they change thier mind, and went onto the next on. Even had people offer more than our hourly rate if we came right now. I also run employees thru Paychex, full W/C, UE, State stuff too. And yes, we are fully insured by Nationwide. The agent I deal with, (just switched to) came out, took pics of everything, sat down with him and told him EVERYTHING I do to make a buck these days.
  11. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

Just get a tall step ladder to get a good angle then use one of the decent snow rakes. There really isn't a good reason to get all the snow off unless you have a flat roof or live in one of the crazy snowfall regions measured in ft.
  12. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

A company we do alot of work with had crews running from Virginia to Mass last season dong this after the end of season blizzard.

SO this year we asked our insurance about it, they asked what we saw as the method, pitched vs flat and of course "WHAT PERCENTAGE OF YOUR GROSS SNOW PROFITS WILL BE DRIVED FROM THIS SERVICE".....I tod them I have 0 idea as it's not a service we will push, just one we'd be prepared to offer to existing clients. All flat roofs @ $55 per hour.