1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Customer argues over 1/10th of an inch !!!!!! can you beat that?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by NorthernProServ, Jan 26, 2014.

1. NorthernProServ

NorthernProServ PlowSite Veteran

No, its not a typo, just had a customer argue why we plowed the other night. Plowing is set at a 1" trigger, we measured/had reports of 1-1.5", he clams 0.9"!
    :realmad:
    It gets worse then that, but I wont get into it.

Give me a break....some people right?

Who can beat that? Post it up!

2. vlc

vlc Senior Member

Yeah, you've got me beat. That's pretty ridiculous.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Prix tease!:realmad:

4. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

Well did you fire them or did they get over on you???:jester:

5. NorthernProServ

HAHA!

That would be the later of the two :jester: My problem is I am just two nice I guess! :eek:

6. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

A cpl years back I had a villa fire me because we DIDN'T plow. They had a 3" trigger and we got 2". They said, "But it drifted in spots." Unfortunately my magic 8 ball was broken that day.

Back to OP: I would ask them where they got their reports. I also have a ruler (or for this year a freaking yard stick!) and I take pics just in case. Most of my customers I have now wouldnt question us anyway but we all know ^THAT GUY^ is out there. LOL Good luck!

7. NorthernProServ

From the weather channel they said.:eek:<<< the worst source around !!

We did start that now, measuring his drive. Saturday we got just under 2", but with the blowing and drifting being so bad we plowed all 2" triggers, except him ( he upped it to a 2" trigger after the last plow incident) I wonder if the driveway is drifted shut yet lol

Yeah, we all seem to have at least one of "that guy" lol!

8. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

Some people have nothing better to do.

9. Kouski

Kouski Junior Member

I can think of about 100 reasons he could complain about how you just plowed his driveway. Unfortunately none of them have anything to do with snow! I've noticed that people like to take out their personal frustrations on us contractors because we usually don't yell back. :nono: Another day, another dollar!

10. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

It is for that exact reason I do not do trigger levels. I tell my customers to call me if they would like their property plowed. This arrangement leaves no room for misunderstanding. When they receive an invoice it is because they requested the service.

11. Gtep

Gtep Junior Member

I have one of those accounts. A little ole lady on a private drive. She's the type that when you arrive she comes out and folds out a plastic chair and watches the entire operation. She's also the type that will call you when she is ready to have her drive plowed and expects because she called you that you should be there with-in minutes.

Real Pain in the butt.

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The reason I do trigger amounts is because it can and will snow while my customers are asleep.
    This way I can have all of my drives clear so they can head off to work in the am.

If you have 20 customers for example and they wake up a hr before they go to work, then they have to decide to call because they can't get out of there drive.
    You can't service them in time.

If a customer if B#@!^%$ about 1/10th then drop them or bill them.

Next time take a pic if the measurement you took in their drive. If there is a next time.

13. Gtep

Gtep Junior Member

I do triggers as well. But this customer insists on calling me prior to the event and will tell me to hold off until the storm is completely over to plow. Then she will call and say "I believe its going to melt off lets just hold off" When it doesn't melt she calls screaming that i can't be there ASAP.. Not worth the 65 dollars per trigger.

14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Do or don't do triggers?

15. M&M

M&M Senior Member

I have a trigger at about 2 inches. For example, it snowed a solid 1.5 inches on Monday. I plowed because it is cold and it won't melt and we have a foot coming tomorrow.

Last year we had 3 storms late feb early march that were definitely 2 inches but I did not plow because the snow melted by the end of the day.

I tell all my customers that I'm looking out for their best interests. I dictate when I plow, not them. I'm the professional. I'm in control.

One customer text me (just frickin call me!) after I plowed 1.5 on Monday. He wants a 4 inch trigger. I called him back saying I will be plowing that 1.5 -2 inches every time. If he wanted something different, call someone else. I haven't heard from him but I'll be plowing it tomorrow.

16. MR. Elite

MR. Elite Senior Member
    from E Town

Reading all of this reminds my why I hate resi's!!! LOL
    I will only do friends and family drives, WHEN I CAN!! 4 the simple fact that If they complain they kno damn well I will push ever sq inch of snow I can find up 2 there garage!!! Simple rules…. I do it when I can/want!!
    There isn't enough money in resi 4 me 2 dedicate time 2 solely..

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I like trigger depths as opposed to only plowing from 9am to 5pm or when they call.
    Were the pros after all.

18. locqus

locqus Junior Member
    from Detroit

I thought we were the only ones with *#*%#( customers! Our trigger is 2" and we had 3 claim only 1.8 fell a few times. A long *sigh* usually follows with inaudible mutterings. Still have us beat. I almost wanted to plow the snow back over the drive for them.

19. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Then play them at their game. Pull data from a couple sources, average it and if its 1.8 for your 2" trigger tell them fine, "ill only charge you 90% of the 2" rate this time. But next time its 2.2" I'll charge you 110% of the rate..."

Don't know how that will work for ya, but it might make you feel better...

If you can get the average data to show it was over 2" then all the better. Or ask them if the measuring station is in front of their driveway - snowfall does vary....

20. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

they watch the news and figure that's what you will use!....don't realize it may have been measured 15 miles from their house