1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Custom Wings

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by x.system, Sep 27, 2010.

1. x.system

x.system Senior Member

I've been making templates for my home made wings and I'm wondering what is the best angle to use as far as degree offset so that they will catch the snow but still allow it to come off the trailing end. Right now I've got them set at 30 degrees. With the way I've got them now it will add 18" to the plow width so my 7' 6" will be 9' with the wings on. Any input would be appreciated and I will post pics as soon as assembly starts.
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I would back them off to 20 degrees
  3. x.system

x.system Senior Member

Thanks basher, I was messing with these a little more today on paper and I think I'm going to back them off to 25 degrees. I'm building these to swing back when not in use so if 25 is to much I will just swing one side back. I still have to make a mock up and check clearance. I made some of my templates out of steel and some are still cardboard. I'm going to get parts cut on the waterjet Wednesday. I was planning on 1/4" material but now I'm thinking 3/16" to save some weight.

These where my first templates but I have changed them a little, the round tube was just for mock up to figure out my pivot point. I was kicking an idea around tonight about making a cam system inside the pivot so I could pull the wings back to 0 degrees.

4. x.system

x.system Senior Member

Got my steel from the shop that has the waterjet and started putting these things together finally. Tacking together one side so I can check the clearance between the wing and truck when its folded back.

5. x.system

x.system Senior Member

Couple more, sorry about pic quality, batteries were going dead.

6. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Looks awesome.
  7. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Looks great. But I would gusset it between the arm that hooks from the wings to the plow. Westerns design is weak and from experience they will bend real easy. Just my 2 cents
  8. fireboy5722

fireboy5722 Senior Member

hope they don't interfere with the truck when the blade is angled. juss from what i seen in the pics
  9. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

That is awesome!
  10. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I think they look great.....How do they stay open?

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Ya beat me to it.
  12. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

That looks great. Awsome fab work.
  13. HuskerSnow

HuskerSnow Member

Top Notch stuff there. pretty good fabrication!
  14. x.system

x.system Senior Member

2 pins to lock them in, I still have to make another pin point to lock them behind the blade.

I should have clearance when angled, I did check before I started but those numbers are wrote down at the shop somewhere, I'll know for sure tomorrow.

I like doing fab work and I'm planning on building a backblade like the ebling as soon as these wings are finished. I just priced my steel for that today.

15. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Nice job. Looks great.
  16. dmcarpentry

dmcarpentry Senior Member
    from maine

looks great cant wait to see finished product
  17. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

Subscribed! I love it when people make their own stuff!
  18. x.system

x.system Senior Member

I put the upper and lower pieces on today then checked clearance. Without the cutting edge on yet I could swing the wing with the blade angled all the way. Plenty of clearance so I will be finishing these up as planned. I ordered some poly so I can make the cutting edge out of that. I am also going to make a set of steel edges.

I'm going to replace the pin with a bolt and the pin will be moved to the left about an inch, I will duplicate another hole that will lock the wing in for 3 pins instead of 2. The same hole will also lock the wing to the back of the blade when not in use. I'll post more on that when its done.

19. skimastr105

skimastr105 Member

Post some pictures when you're finished. I really like your design!

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Just my 02, but i would gusset between the brackets on the plow, and somehow on the wing side aswell. Just my 02. I love the build so far.