1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Custom Wings

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by '01_1500, Sep 20, 2010.

1. '01_1500

'01_1500 Member

I know that the subject of wings has been beat to death around here but I'm looking for some information that I couldn't find even after a search. I want to add wings to my 7'6" Unimount but I want to build a set similar to the ones that Western sells for the newer plows. Does anybody know of a source for plans or schematics for something like this? I've seen the Buyers Prowings that you can buy from Northern Tool but they seem like they wouldn't last.

I'm looking to build something close to these if possible.
    [​IMG]

2. x.system

x.system Senior Member

I'm building a set that are very similar to those that are also going on a unimount. I should have pics by early next week once they are done.

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Philbilly2 made a set for his that uses a receiver hitch style type of mounting.......welded to the tops of the shoe mounts. Pretty slick. He posted pics last year sometime.

4. x.system

x.system Senior Member

I saw his and starc also did a nice set of wings last year.

5. My76f250

My76f250 Senior Member

Im takin a set of plus wings and just making brackets to work on my 8'6" pro...the curve an height is perfect...im welding angle across as a support like the pro plus' tube and using black pipe as a pin tube... then out on the ribs im using 1/4" flat bar for the pin brackets

6. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

X2 on the receiver hitches. I bought 2 receivers and welded one on each side of the plow, with a bit of reinforcement. 1 pin, and they do not bend. I even clipped a 4x4 on a sign backing up. Took a chunk out of the 4x4 but didn't bend the wing.

7. '01_1500

'01_1500 Member

I'd really like to see some pictures of this set-up if you could post some.

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

How much is the real deal? To me, if they were less than 300-400 bucks, would it even be worth the time and materials to do it yourself?

9. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Mine are built from an older lawn tractor blade-I used a sidewall of a backhoe tire for the scraping edge-I will be doubling it up this year to make it stiffer. I have a couple pictures of the wings in use-I will try to get some close ups at some point, but this should give you an idea.

101_0479.jpg

101_0480.jpg

101_0483.jpg

10. '01_1500

'01_1500 Member

As far as I know there's not a ready made set of wings available for the Unimount blades. My only other option would be to get the buyers pro wings but drilling holes in my plow is not something I want to do. This set up only needs to get me through this winter so spending a lot of money is something I'd like to avoid.