1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Custom Wing Build

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by lodogg89, Jan 30, 2007.

1. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

Here are the wings we have been working on. Building these with another member on the board (PowerWagon). Going to be building two sets. One for each of our plows. Design is somewhat similar to the Boss Wings. Here is today's work. Will post updates and more pics as we go along.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

Could not wait to see when it gets done, will have the sheet cover on front and rubber added.. bit more work to go.prsport :drinkup:

3. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

Holy Shitaki Mushrooms!
    I drew up a design for a guy who's going to make me wings for my Bobcat plow. We have the same ideas. The Bobcat plow has 2 sets of pre-drilled holes on it's sides. I want to put hinges there so I can bend back the wings when loading on a trailer. Are you going to bend metal for the front? That's going to look great! Would love to see more pics of your progress. Good Luck!

4. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk Member

Retractable?

5. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

wings are going to be removable, going to be pinned on.

6. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

What thickness steel are you using? From the pics it looks like 3/16th. I know they are not done yet but I wonder if that frame is going to be strong enough under load. I would have used at least 1/4" and tubing for the cross members. Not criticizing you at all, I tend to over engineer everything I do.

looks good can't wait to see them when they are done.

7. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

they are 1/4 inch, 2 inch flat bar had it bent (rolled) to go on plow and the angle is 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 by 1/4 inch it will have very thin plate cover up, yes there will be a pipe on back to hold on and pull out to take off.

8. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Must just be the angle the pic was taken. They look good

9. Try to angle them to the front a little that way they do what they are intended to do!

10. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

wings

Powerwagon, i'm making the same for my western plow(8.5) on my old powerwagon 1 tonner. it will come in handy on my townhomes. your setup should hold up very well.

11. Alaskanredneck

Alaskanredneck Junior Member
    from Alaska

I did this on my plow, I have 2 problems with mine
    first when I hook the wing into some snow it has more torque than the cilinders and it swings the plow to that side
    second I made mine solid and my cutting edge runs clear across, it gets enough torque that it keeps breaking the bolts that hold the cutting edge on
    also I lost a pin that holds the plow on my plowframe, when things started twisting it took the entire plow frame off my truck :eek:

I am not sure how you plan to brace it to the plow but if you try to attach it by the bolt holes on the side of the plow I think it will start twinsting the metal and tare the bolts out

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  12. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

There will be a pipe in back of the plow that will be welded to the wings then part pipe cross the plow to hold on it will pull out and push back in, yet have to make those.

13. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

here is so more pics from today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I have been wanting to do the same thing on some of my old Western cable Pro Series plows. I can never seem to find the time to get the project started though. I was thinking of designing a hinge at the top so you can just flip it up and then flip it down and just pin it.

Keep posting the pics of your progress, it looks great so far! :nod:

15. smittyks

smittyks Junior Member
    from canada

removable wings

Looks like a great idea. I have been considering this myself for my 7.5' Western. I would like to have wings that I could pop in place for clean up and for those light overnight snowfalls. Please post your pics of your removable setup.

Very neat looking work by the way.

16. matcham5

matcham5 Junior Member
    from NE OHIO

Hey lodogg89,
    Got any new pics that you could post for us??I am really interested in seeing the finished product!