1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Custom Wear bars?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Steve G., Feb 4, 2009.

1. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

Hey guys, I'm not happy with the wear bar that came on the new polaris glacier snowplow; It is at the same height as the plow and doesn't really help protect the plow itself and on top of that it doesn't clean the pavement as nice as I've seen others do it... probably because it floats a little instead of scrapes. I'm thinking of making my own wear bar out of 1/4" x 4" x 5' steel. Has anyone done this before? It's basically just drilling holes, right?

Thanks in advance,

p.s. dealer said it costs $60-70 for a new wear bar!
  2. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

yep just drill the holes in the right spot, and bolt it on!
  3. hansons glc

hansons glc Member
    from mn

i make my own out of 3/8 steel
  4. xraybox

xraybox Junior Member

I got two seasons out of a piece of 1/4 X 2" I had laying around.
    Keep in mind if you use carriage bolts you might want to square up the holes so the bolts don't spin.
    Next time I was thinking about 3/8 X 4" to see how much better it wears.
  5. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

What is the best way to square up the holes?

I was thinking 3/8's would be a little overkill!
  6. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

when I do mine I am just gonna use regular bolts. much easier.
  7. JTLossos

JTLossos Junior Member

No need to square up the holes. When I made mine I simply bored the intial holes with a quarter inch bit followed by a bit just fractionally smaller than the "squared shoulder" on the bolt, as measured diagonally across the "square". Put the bolts in and ratchet them down. This will basically pinch the bolts into place at all four corners preventing them from spinning. Keep in mind though that if you are too small your bolts won't seat, too large and you will "spin" the bolt next time you attempt to remove it.

Oh....and by the way.....3/8 isn't really overkill. I find it adds a little more weight to my blade helping to scrape marginally better. Should also improve wear resistance, albeit marginally.
  8. xraybox

xraybox Junior Member

Steve, Go with JTLossos's suggestion, I used a file to square the holes, but I can be a little anal about stuff like that.
  9. leroycool

leroycool Junior Member

i put 3/8 x 2 1/2 wear bar on my blade :) works great

+ i made my blade nice and thick so it keeps the wear bar on the ground and it will NEVER bend :) i should see how many pounds it is :):)
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2009