1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Custom swith panel in an 02 Silverado

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Lowriderfd44, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Lowriderfd44

Lowriderfd44 Senior Member

Hey, i'm not sure if i'm posting this in the right place, if i'm not, i apologize.

I made a custom switch panel for my warning lights in my 02 Silverado quad cab. I have the full length "deluxe console" with factory cassette player in it. Thought everyone would like to see some pics of how i did it.

here's what i used:
    4 Pilot LED rocker switches
    Radio Shack 6"x4"x2" project box
    12"x12"x1/8" sheet of black ABS plastic
    mounting plate from factory tape player
    wire and wire connectors

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i see no pic, lol

3. Lowriderfd44

I started by removing the factory tape player. I measured the face of the tape player to get the measurements to mount the switches. I knew i would need a way to secure the panel in the housing so i removed the mounting bracket from the tape player.

1.JPG

2.JPG

4. Lowriderfd44

sorry for the delay, it's takin me some time to type and find the pics, lol

5. Lowriderfd44

next, i took the sheet of ABS plastic and cut my measurements, i don't remember what they are anymore, lol. I cut the plastic using a high speed diamond blade on my Dremmel. then i measure the switches, they were about an inch in diameter. Then i just figured out what the middle and center would be and cut the holes for the switches

3.JPG

4.JPG

6. Lowriderfd44

then i took the project box disasembled it and cut the back out so i could run the wires. then i off centered the face plate a bit and traced the circles and cut a little bigger to avoivd resistance.

6x4x2project box radio shack.jpg

P2260790.JPG

5.JPG

7. Lowriderfd44

i then mounted the switches, they're just push in. then i hot glued the face plate to the box.

8.JPG

8. Lowriderfd44

then i wired up all the switches so each one would share the same ground and same power lead in. each switch will be powering a different item so they all have a different lead out for the item.

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

9. Lowriderfd44

then i lined up and test fit the bottom of the project box with the mounting plate for the tape player. there was already a hole in the mounting polate so i tried that out and it matched up by coincidence, lol. I traced it and drew another hole on the opposite side of the plate and box and drilled them to match. i used the hole to secure the box to the plate to keep it from sliding.

12.JPG

drawing.JPG

15.JPG

10. Lowriderfd44

then i reassembled the project box and mouted and secured it to the mounting plate.

16.JPG

17.JPG

11. Lowriderfd44

then, finished product. custom made switch box. costing about $35. I know a "professional" switch box ie, whelen, federal signal, caost around $40 and up. But they're big and bulky. this one tucks right away and looks factory. i'll post pics of it mounted in the truck tomorrow when it's daylight.

19.JPG

20.JPG

23.JPG

24.JPG

12. Lowriderfd44

it was $5. per switch x 4. $5 for the project box. $10.45 for the ABS sheet, that was with the cost of shipping. so all in all, it was $35.45.

13. THEGOLDPRO

damn d0od that looks awesome, you did a great job man. whats all the switches for?

14. Lowriderfd44

Thanks! I appreciate it. Well, i'm still trying to decide, lol. I know one will be for my dash LED light ond one for my LED grille lights. I also have a strobe pack and that will be one switch. i have a Led im putting in the back window. i don't know whether to make that the fourth switch or attach it with the strobes. i was thnking about getting a mini LED light bar. but i don't know yet and if i did, it wouldn't be for a while. so maybe if i get it, i'll just move wiring around.

15. Lowriderfd44

i'm gonna be running a dual Whelen Talon on the dash. 4 Sho-Me Mini LED's in the grille, A Sho-Me phantom in the back window, and 2 strobe tubes in the front and 2 maybe 4 in the tail lights

16. THEGOLDPRO

lol thats alot of strobes :) make sure to take a ton of pics of those as well.

17. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Looking forward to seeing it set up in your truck. Looks pretty nice so far.

18. THEGOLDPRO

as for all that wiring, id snap trying ot day that, lol i hate wiring crap, lol so +1 for your patience.

19. Lowriderfd44

Lol, yeah it is. I deffinately will. I'm only doing that many in the rear cause i have an old 6 outlet sitting around collecting dust. might as well put it to good use, lol. I'm just waiting on LSHlights.com to send me my grille LED's and my under hood strobe pack

20. Lowriderfd44

Me too! lol Thanks! :D