1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Custom switch & relay panel

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by mcwlandscaping, Sep 19, 2009.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Been working on this for the last week or so in the evening when i have time. Six switches with LED's above them going to six relays all on individual fused circuits with another inline circuit on the power feed to the fuse block. Only the first four switches are going to be used for now but designed in two extra for when (not if) i decide to ad anymore lights or accessories. My lights should be in on wednesday so i'm pretty excited. All of my power feeds are already run to their appropriate spot in the truck so all i'll have to do is set the patterns on them, then mount and ground them and i'll be all set! I took my sweet time running wires and hooking everything up so it should never have to be done again! All connections were either soldered or I used heat shrink connections. Any questions feel free to ask.

Switch one- http://www.truckntow.com/pc-11465-147010-hella-oval-100-close-range-work-light-double.aspx i'm doing two of the long range, dual bulb ones.
    Switch two- two whelen L32LAF LED beacons on each side of the safety rack
    Switch three- Rear whelen Vertex HAW LED's
    Switch four- Front whelen Vertex HAW LED's
    Switch five- future use
    Switch six- future use

Since i posted initital pics of the truck when i got it i have added a safety rack, tool box, HID headlights, and lettered it up. I'll post whole truck pics and vids after the lights go on. Oh, this is on the 06 in my sig.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Very nice! Relays are the way to go so you can use those nice small switches. I like the indicator lamps too. Did you use a breaker to feed your fuse block?
  3. 2005_Sierra

2005_Sierra Senior Member

that looks very nice and very clean looking job. what do u figure u spent on the whole set up?
  4. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Member

Very nice job! Try and post some pics of your truck with the lights installed if you can.

Gotta love attention to detail!

5. mcwlandscaping

Not a breaker but a wire with an inline fuse off of stud #2 on the trucks fuse block

Probably around $70 in materials but a lot of hours trying to get everything perfect and redoing a lot of things if i didn't like the way they came out with the first time. Also, by taking my time i would get ideas the next day on how to do something better and would redo it. I'm glad i did though.

I definitely will, lights will be in on wednesday and figure by the following wednesday everything will be done.

Thank you for all the compliments guys! I absolutely love this kind of work
  6. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Let us know how those Hella work out, those would make some good back up lights!
  7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I have the dual beam clear Hellas now.......there sick. You won't be disappointed with that purchase.
  8. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

is that fuse block mounted under the hood?....if so i hope you protect it somehow....they corrode up...

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

You didn't buy all your stuff from them did you? Very clean looking job. I am currently redoing my switch set up in my truck too. But I am doing mine in the overhead console. I also put my truck to plow headlight switch up there also.
  10. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

Nice job. If you plan to keep the fuse block and relays uncovered, take all the connections off and add some Di-electric grease to them then reinstall the connectors. Fuses also. It won't completely seal them, but will be better than being completely bare. In the future, you can save your self a lot of aggrivation down the road by using sealed components. Other than that though, nice work.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  11. mcwlandscaping

Glad to hear it! I saw someone post pics of them on their backrack (maybe it was you) and have since been waiting to light up this truck with them! i can't wait to get this finished!

I have used these before under the hood and have never had a problem with corrosion. I would like to make a nice black cover for it at some point just to continue the factory appearance of the whole thing. But the fuses and connections are all di-electric greased you just can't tell too well since i wiped off all the excess.

If you meant from TruckNTow then no way! lol, they have cool stuff but this would have cost me a fortune! I bought all my warning lights from sirennet! I would have liked to do my switch setup up in the overhead console but because i have the option for the factory garage door buttons my console space is very small.
  12. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

Very nicely done! Im working on something similar in my 09. Going to use my OEM warning light switch as a master for my bar, front and rear strobs, work lights and reverse over ride lights. Just got to pick up a couple more relays and ill be good to go. Im going to install the switches in my overhead consol.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Hey Mike. I'll have to email ya some pic of my setup that I am currently working on. Send I have never seen the garage door option on those trucks.
  14. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

huh...i never used those under hood.........i guess i can try now......plow grease does wonders...

nice wires....looks factory
  15. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

personally i would have built a box and put it behind the seat

or went to jotto desk and got a black switch panel. and got a set of switches from way tek
  16. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

Thanks, you just made my head hurt. I have always wanted to make something like that, but I get so over my head and now I seen this I want to try again once i get my truck
  17. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good, clean install. I'm about to get one from Galls.
  18. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

MCW, great work!

if you dont mind me picking your brain with a few questions, i am looking to do the same idea in my truck, maybe not 6, but definately 4.

if i understand, your wiring went something like this:
    power off stud 2 to fuse block
    power from each fuse to number ?? (86 maybe) on the relay
    ground the opposite side of the relay to battery or frame?
    trigger wire from the switch on one other side (what number?)
    opposite from trigger is power run to light-B/U, amber, etc.
    did you run a seperate power line to your switch panels for trigger power or use a jumper of some sort?
    ground all your switches back to the frame or battery or somewhere?

i appreciate any help, im somewhat new to the wiring thing, so any help is great!

19. andyman0291

andyman0291 Senior Member

no pics yet?
  20. StormRanger

StormRanger Member
    from NorEast

Not to thread hi-jack, but Im going to be wiring up my truck for the following:

Roof becon (dual 55w rotator)
    90w whelen strobes
    Electric Salter
    4 Lin4's
    Back up lights

My old set up, I had all the lights and the salter coming from the battery, fused by the battery, then into my truck where I made a switch panel. I daisy chained like 6 switches and ran everything off that.

This time, I want to do everything 100% safe. so am I supposed to send everything to relays THEN to the switch? should everything be wired separate of can you daisy chain the power on the relays?

Sorry, sounds confusing. I just don;t want my truck burning up.