1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

custom strobes

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by ChevYooper, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Anyone make their own strobes say using LED marker lights and some parts from like Radio SHack, or do you have to buy a $100 controller????
  2. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

You need to put in more information then that. Are you talking about using strobes and putting them in marker lights or using marking lights as a warning light. Leds are not strobes, they may have a strobe style flash pattern but they are not the same. What do you mean by a 100 dollar controller? That could mean anything from a switch box to a power supply? Let us know more about what your trying to do. :drinkup:
  3. Sorry, i know nothing about strobes.....

I have a cheap revolving amber magnet light that plugs into my cig lighter and want something brighter.

I know that whelen makes a "amber beacon" which "strobes" or does it flash???

I was thinking of putting on some marker style led lights and having them flash (strobe) and maybe get an amber beacon too.

I just dont know anything about strobes or flashers, but i cant spend too much money. I looked at whelens page and i dont know if i need a controller, power supply ect....

Its for the plow truck, and i would like it to be noticable (unlike my rotating light). I just want some flashy lights and not spend much.....:D

Thanks, sorry to be so ignorant.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  4. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

It all depends on how much you want to spend. You can go with a led beacon or a strobe beacon. Where are you planning on putting the so called marker lights on the truck? The grill or somewhere else? Or are you thinking of hideaway strobes in the headlights and tailights? If you were to get a self contained strobe beacon or led beacon you don't need a power supply. Are you looking to do perm. mount or magnetic? I would recomened whelens L360 led series beacon. They are really nice. You can go either a low profile or the tall version and mag or perm mount, depending on which one your looking at 200-300 bucks.
  5. Thanks for the help....

I think im going to go with a whelen mag mount strobe beacon.

I was thinking of having the cab lights (that my truck doesnt have yet) strobe (i saw a guy on here somewhere had his done)

Thanks for your help, i'm going to just go w/ a beacon light

Thanks again
  6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I've got this one (the shorter one) just sitting in my shop.

$50+shipping, just needs a cig plug wired on the end of the two short pigtails, has magnet.