1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

custom snowbears

Discussion in 'Snowbear Plows' started by cjshloman, Dec 4, 2010.

1. cjshloman

cjshloman Senior Member

Lets see and hear of the custom things you've done to your plows. Im looking for light ideas, edges, switch stuff whatever. Its snow time in ct so Im looking for new stuff.

2. acornish

acornish Senior Member

if ya look under some of the posts here u will find some neat things-- the switch conversion for the old rotory is here in a few places-- winch relpacemwnt dome with a western hoop and pump --- lots of custom light frames i personally have only done the toggle switch with relays , but am going to do a hyd. pump hoop in the spring i have an old meter 46 up / down only and get rid of the winch totally

3. 1PapaDock4

1PapaDock4 Member

I've got a '97 TJ myself *before you read, understand I'm not rich, I survive somehow*

For the lights:
    Underneath the hood, basically on top of the grill, there are a few holes that are spaced evenly.
    I took 2 skinny metal brackets ($1 each at hardware store), approx. 4" long, and bolted one end to a hole above the grill, and then ran an aftermarket light to the other end of the bracket. Did the same on the other side of grill as well.. Seems to be working well.

Hope this is helpful,
    Steve

4. skidoo

skidoo Member

I'm not into spending money either. My wife calls me cheap, not tight but cheap. The way I put a set of lights on my plow, I used tractor lights paid 6.99 a piece for them. I made a bracket and installed it on the back of the two bolts used for mounting the winch. All I used was angle iron from an old bed frame. One piece straight up off winch bolts a piece across the top and two angle pieces back to up right. Painted black. Works great! And doesn't look to bad either.

5. cjshloman

cjshloman Senior Member

I would love to see some pics of this set up...Ive been thinking of doing this too....with a pump I might get for free.

6. acornish

acornish Senior Member

ok this is where i got the idea from:
    this guy cut and welded to the winch mount mine will be similar only ill be using an old e46 meyer pump.

snowbear.jpg

7. moosey

moosey Senior Member

The pic in the last post is mine. any questions contact me. I switched out the western cable pump for an Meyer e47. I do not run that now but can help out in anyway.

8. acornish

acornish Senior Member

cool wasn't sure who's it was, i saved the pic a while ago cause i liked the idea, i am making something similar but am using an old E46 up / down only pump , since we dont have power angle.
    i also was curiouse how does the mount hold up with the extra weight of the pump, cause if its no strain then i might consider an E47 and adapt some rams for angle.
    also could u post a pic with the meyer on it just curious of looks

9. moosey

moosey Senior Member

It is a bit heavier but does not affect anything. With the meyers e47 your only adding another couple pounds. I would add the e47 and try adding the angle option.

10. cjshloman

cjshloman Senior Member

Could I get more pics of this....how its mounted to the snowbear...any wiring hook ups and switch pics....my bear is almost shot after this storm......doesnt always go up now....winch just spins, wont raise...randomly. I need to do something quick. Thanks

11. moosey

moosey Senior Member

no more pics. old western hoop that holds pump welded to the piece that holds winch. look closer at pic. I bought the wiring complete off of ebay for an e47 meyers pump.

12. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

light switch

Here is a few pics of the switch I installed for the snowbear lights. I bought 5' wire, & a switch. Now I don't have to get out and plug/unplug those snowbear lights.
    First pic: dash out installing switch
    second pic: completed
    FYI: I got that wire out of the way(my controller wire)

img_0661.jpg

img_0662 2.jpg

13. cjshloman

cjshloman Senior Member

Cool ideas guys....my winch gears siht the other day so I bought the harbor freight one....not a bolt up ......much work to get it to work...but it does, just a little slower. just hooked the ligthts up that came with it...the snowbear lights....never hooked them, only 1 worked so I need to geta bulb/light, but I wired them real quick into my stock foglight switch which works good. just need that bulb. when this big storm hits wed Ill wire it up a little better, and Im looking for regular headgear and a pump to get the winch out all together. But I cant complain....for 3 years its served me well and plowed good.

14. acornish

acornish Senior Member

yeah stock light setup a little weak and not exacty legal on street--- for mine i went to Car Quest and bought a set of Grote Plow Lights for 89 bucs on sale then welded up som scrap to make a light tree simillar to Western plows, but this is only temp. for me,

I decided come spring I will be putting on my meyers hoop and old E46 for hyd up and down, getting the larger 88" moldboard and edge, and wiring will be completely redone