1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Custom side extensions for Vbox spreaders

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snow Picasso, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

Has anyone made extensions for their Poly Vbox spreaders? Like to hear and see some pics on how you attached them to your spreader. Salt Doggs in particular!

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I'm about to on our poly Downeaster. Just going to use 2x12's and some thicker metal strapping for the sides (2 per side) and same strapping bent into L's for the corners and bolt together and to the v box with standard nuts/washers and bolts and drilling the ends and screw pieces together for added stability with deck screws, hell I might even paint it. This should put me right around 2.5 yards and that's perfect for one of our routes until I can buy another v box. Just watch the weight, 2.5 tons on our srw F350 is really pushing it, even with the air bags.

3. Snow Picasso

Brian, I'm basically thinking the same thoughts on this one. I'm using 2x8's with 1/4 inch aluminum brackets bolted to the sides of box and screwed to the wood. I'm even thinking about putting brackets from the wood to the poly from the inside so you cant see the brackets.....Send me some pics when your done. I'll do the same.

4. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

That's pretty much what I did to my Poly Downeaster also...cheap, easy and effective

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I'd like to find another one of these Downeaster's but they quite making them for whatever reason. I talked to a couple guys from Downeaster about why they would stop making a poly v box when everyone seems to be making more and more of them, they said they weren't very popular.
    I think they weren't very popular because the dealers have to carry a ridiculous amount of their inventory to remain a dealer and around here there were 2 dealers, now there's no one withing a 5 hour drive.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  6. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

2x10's...... 1.5 yard to 2.0 + yard upgrade. I used the bolt holes that were used for the steel grate to bolt the angle iron onto the spreader.

Should work real good! Keep in mind one thing when building yours..... That 1.5 yard v-box filled with a nice heap of salt. Really weighed the back of my 15, 2500 down. Them coil springs that dodge is using sucks! But i also dont have a 1-ton truck. I thing if I did the sides without air bags the ass end would be on the ground! lol

So the first thing I did before adding the sides this year was put a set of Firestone air bags in. I didnt load the salt or air bags yet!?!?! SO I'm hoping once we get our first snow....all works good!!

IMG_2547.JPG

IMG_2546.JPG

IMG_2545.JPG

7. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Did you drive all the way to Michigan to angelos? I live a mile from there.

8. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Nope. The cost of the v-box at my local dealer was more money then the shipping via tractor trailer from angelos to my shop. I been getting all my v-box's this way.

9. LogansLawnCare

LogansLawnCare Member

I was thinking the exact same thing!

10. Aerospace Eng

Aerospace Eng Senior Member

Just for reference with respect to stability....

The center of mass of a 90 degree pie slice is approximately 60% of the way from the tip to the outer edge [4*2^0.5/(3*PI)], and this is probably not too bad an approximation for a V-box.

When you add sides you will increase both the mass and the height of the mass.

I haven't done any calculations; just wanted to put the info out there.

11. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

You've got coil springs in the rear on a '15 Ram 2500?

12. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

My 1.8 polycaster is plenty heavy when full of wet dirt/salt. I don't think I would dare add on another 1000 pounds....and my F350 is spec'd out as heavy as a gasser srw can be.

13. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You should see when we run the 2 yard speaders heaped. But we don't plow with them loaded either

14. maxwell

maxwell Member
    from nw ohio

That's just more to shovel out when it freezes up!!!:help:

15. Snow Picasso

This is what I ended up doing. Had 2x6's at the shop. Should add about 1/2 ton plus to my 2 yd Salt Dogg

ext2resize.jpg

ext3resize.jpg

truck extension1resize.jpg

16. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

No, I don't have any custom side extensions. I'd just be happy if the thing would spread salt once in awhile.

17. Snow Picasso

No kidding!

18. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

I like mine too. It's weird getting used to the "stuttering" spinner motor on start up. Did you ever hear why they designed it that way? I have always found customer service to be a bit of problem.
    Steve