1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

custom mounting a plow to John Deere 3020

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dirt digger, Oct 4, 2007.

1. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

i want to try and make a plow for the 3020 i just bought...i've seen one custom made on a 1010 but curious if any of you guys have 3020 or 4020s out there with plows on the front. A farmer around here has a oneway on the front of his IH 14 but i want a regular plow...im thinking i could have a hydraulic cyliner on the front run to the rear remotes and raise and lower it that way and then just manually angle it because the tractor only has 1 rear remote...

anyone ever done this?

2. dirt digger

heres a picture of the beast...i dont think it would be too good of an idea to mount it to the axle, but the only other option i see is running angle iron back towards the clutch pedal and bolting it to the frame there

3020 001.jpg

3. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

If your going to hang a plow on the front...I would take off the ballast weight .There are probably more mounting holes closer to the front underneath. Hoses would be long, but good idea to run to the rear hydraulics for lifting.

4. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

a place around here has an old meyer on a tractor much like that. They have long bars running all the way to under the clutch pedal to support a mount up front.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We bolt ours on to where the weights go and run a piece of tubing back to the draw bar hole and bolt it there. Very easy on and off. If you have a cylinder already somewhere you can make a lift pretty easy. It doesn't need to be real heavy because it's on a 2wd. All the tractors we plowed with 30 years ago were 2wd. If you want I can take some pictures of different mounts and show them to you. We have some that we still use that my dad made before I ws born.

6. dirt digger

that would be awesome if you could get pictures...i was thinking of making a mount on either side of the frame where you can see the holes already in it but then i dont know how to stop side to side movement of the plow because it would have to hindge at that point and there would be nothing to stop it from going side to side, but i really like the idea of running a piece back to the drawbar, this has a removable drawbar so a piece of iron would slide right in..it would give the plow something to push against and it probably also stops side to side motion.

i've been searching the internet but all i have found is a picture of an old farmall narrowfront with an ugly looking set up, i want to keep mine halfway decent looking and easily removeable when the plows, discs, rakes, and haybines go on her in the summer.

7. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'll try and gets some pics in the tomorrow.

9. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

I built a mount on a 3020 years ago. Pushed from the drawbar under the rear with a swivel joint to compensate for the front moving with the front axle. The front hung off of the front axle. The lift bolted to the four threaded holes on the front of the tractor. I found an old faded picture and scanned it but it's hard to see much detail. If I was doing it today I'd look for 8-9 foot Meyer or Western power angle plow and add a joystick loader valve to the tractor to control it. If you're running liquid in the rear tires(or some weight on the 3pt) and chains you can push a lot of snow with a 3020 and if you've got a power shift trans it's even better.

3020plow2.jpg

10. dirt digger

man thats awesome...excatelly what i want, thanks...yea she has filled rear tires so im not worried about weight