1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Custom- Meyers Classic Mount on 2009 Silverado

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Snoozeworm, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Snoozeworm

Snoozeworm Junior Member

Well, to give some background. I have been running a small scale snow removal business for the past 4 years using a yamaha grizzly 350 and a snow plow. It grew from doing 1 local restaurant to 5 commercial contracts and another 3 residential simply by word of mouth. I saw in my local newspaper a meyers 7.5 foot plow and a snowex spreader for $1100, so I made the purchase and there began the work.

I noticed as i was sanding it down for paint, it had a broken pivot pin. No problem, I'll just pound it out and replace. :help: 7 HOURS LATER they were replaced with GREASABLE pivot pins!

The mount came from a 94 Chevy 1500, and was about 1 inch too narrow to fit my frame. We used 1/2 inch steel bolted to the outside of the frame to drop down, essentially allowing the mount to fit "inside" the frame rather than over the outside. Grade 8 bolts + 1/2 inch steel allowed us to keep all the strength.

Wiring was all harnessed from the previous truck, everything went right in aside from the light's wiring harness, which i simply customized to a toggle switch that turns on both high and low beam lights at the flick of a switch. I just could not justify spending $150+ on a harness for my truck!

A special thanks to John at the "thepumpshop" for a fantastic rebuild of my E47 pump + some paint + msc replacement hoses and couplers from tractor supply lead to this!

[​IMG]

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Is that a Meyer plow that the head gear can be removed from the truck or is the head gear designed to stay on all year round?

3. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Thats one of the ones with the tube style headgear mount I believe.

4. Snoozeworm

Snoozeworm Junior Member

It is removable. Tube style

5. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

I got the same setup. I remove the headgear in the summer and mount it to my blade with aftermarket brackets.

6. Michaelzz28

Michaelzz28 Member
    from Ohio

do you have any pictures of the mount

do you have a close up pictures of the modifications done to the mount when it was on the truck I am about to do the same thing and kind of like some ideas the mount I have is off a 2002 to go on a 2009.

Smith bros site has some pictures of a classic mount on a 09 but there not cose ups of the mods done to put it on I have yet to measure it to see if there is a difference in the frame from the 02 to the 09 does anyone here know?

7. Snoozeworm

Snoozeworm Junior Member

Id be happy to take some pics when i get a chance. To say it simply, I cut off the "ears" that stick up from the mount that you are supposed to put bolts through into the frame. I then took steel and drilled out the 3 holes for my bumper bolts on each side and bolted that to the OUTSIDE of the origional mount. This allowed me to (1) use stock holes in my frame and (2) widen the mount about an inch by having the mounting plates on the outside as opposed to going through the top as origionals did, to accommodate the new wider truck frame. After that, it was as simple as taking some steel stock and making a custom brace to angle back to a stock empty hole in the frame.

In short, new frame is about an inch wider and has holes in different locations requiring you to custom drill a new plate and attach it to the outside of the plow mount.

**I welded nothing structural, Used grade 8 bolts for everything as I feel that is stronger than my personal welds would be.

8. Michaelzz28

Michaelzz28 Member
    from Ohio

1994 mount

I to had a 1988 mount which I believe is like the 1994 mount you modified I faced that delema when I went to the 2002 truck from the 88 truck it was on but was able to find a 2002 mount for the 2002 truck and it was just as you said about a 1" narrower but the 2002 mount is about a 1" wider so it may fit on the 09 frame as it is Meyers does not list a classic mount to fit a 09 but the mount I currently have will fit up to a 07 in there catalog

If I would quit changing trucks I would not have this issue LOL

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013