1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Custom Liquid system need advice!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by GrowingSeasons, Oct 7, 2014.

1. GrowingSeasons

GrowingSeasons Junior Member

just as the title says i need advice on a custom liquid system. Let me start by giving the back story of what we do we are not a typical snow contractor. We are a landscape and erosion control co in pittsburgh we do the commercial and residential landscape and commercial snow. What makes us different is we a plow and erosion control co for the oil and natural gas industry which is booming in our region. where i ask for help is we maintain the lease/access roads to the wells which is aggregate and we CANNOT us salt so we use 1b limestone now new for this year we are to maintain the municipal roads to the well site location I.E. SALT THE PAVED ROADS. Obviously u can't carry salt and aggregate at the same time so my idea is a 100-200 gal liquid system mounted to the cab protector of our dump trucks with a de icing style bar under the truck. (we use f450 with under tailgate spreaders) i no they make pre fabed systems for this but none that I've found to work with my intentions. The concept of putting salt water from a tank to the road isn't rocket science but I'm sure there are things i need to know. so any tips or help would be much appreciated! Sorry for the long post thanks!

2. GrowingSeasons

GrowingSeasons Junior Member

one of our truck set ups

IMG_1283.JPG

IMG_1284.JPG

3. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Wish you were closer, I would love to build it for you. I would set it up with a hydraulic pump from your central system.

Most of these liquids are approx 11 lbs per gallon. Heavy stuff. 11 x 100 = 1100 lbs.......11 x 200 = 2200 lbs.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  4. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

If hes interested my snow plow boss has a transport company that can transport this ?

5. MF 5455

MF 5455 Senior Member

I built a sprayer system for my dump truck...F-550. It isn't on top of cab protector, but in the bed. I would be concerned with 200 gallons of brine up there. Especially when you lift the box to slide aggregate into tailgate spreader.

Why not build a unit that will sit cross the bed at front, and put a bulkhead between sprayer and limestone. that way, you can have both liquid and salt/sand/limestone with you.

Brine Sprayer 4.jpg

Brine Sprayer 5.jpg

Brine Sprayer 6.jpg

6. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Will they let you use calcium chloride on the roads?

7. MF 5455

MF 5455 Senior Member

Yes sir. To the best of my knowledge, here where I live, there is a small amount of calcium chloride used. There was a contractor using it on the main corridor, (interstate), but there were numerous wrecks. From what was details given, the material leaves somewhat of a slimy footprint, and it attracts the blowing snow, and keeps the road way more damp than what it perhaps should be. To answer your question, it can be used. I believe now with the new contractor, the liquid is 23.3% brine with beet juice and on occasion when its extremely cold, they mix about 10% magnesium chloride or calcium chloride. This is called a hot mix, and it lowers the freezing temps of the liquid.

So far....I haven't had any problems with my salt brine in cold temps. I have sprayed bare dry asphalt at temps around 0 degrees fah., and it dried without creating any ice. I monitor my mix closely, and always aim for the same readings. 23% sodium chloride by weight, or, 88-89 using a salometer.

I keep a log or diary on each batch I make. If there happens to be a legal challenge, than I could use the sample containers marked with date and batch # as reference. Slip and fall can and will happen. Most of our larger contracts require us to keep a log for each snowfall occurrence, time in and out, what piece(s) of equipment used, driver, how much snow or ice, if and how much deicing materials we used. Also, what condition parking lot is when we leave. I am finding the more I document my activity, hopefully I would be able to prevent the slip and fall accidents, our maintenance history would be clean, and perhaps keeping our liabilities to a minimum.

My thoughts are this...if I'm going to use the liquids, than make sure I do it correctly. The brines are only one tool in the toolbox. Educate yourself on the use, when and where to use it, how much to use. There are many forums on the internet. There are also many highway departments who have essays on their findings.

Be careful on where you purchase your equipment. Most of it is way over priced. Kubota and I have discussed this many times. He builds a nice, good quality unit. I purchased most of my parts as used, new tank, valves and plumbing and put this one together. You have nice looking equipment, so if the sprayer is maintained likewise, with general maintenance, it will last a long time.

8. MF 5455

MF 5455 Senior Member

BTW...I know the area where you are in Pa. I use to live north a few miles. Don't know if Grove City rings a bell, Meadville, Greenville, Conneaut Lake. Pittsburgh is hilly and treacherous when they get big snow. Been out to the airport lots of times. Remember once it started snowing while in route. Traffic was backed up, wrecks everywhere. Fortunately, there was delays at the airport also. We ended up spending night at hotel, and left the next day. :mad:

9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I don't know if I'd put a liquid tank on the cab protector. Typically liquid salts weigh around 11-12lbs/gallon. Can you build a divide in the bed and put a tank in the front. A 200 gallon tank isn't that big so you will only loose a small amount of space and you can make that up with side boards on the dump.

10. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I am in Detroit.
    Mineral well brine that we use does not leave a slime or attract snow. They use it on the roads here all the time. I think this would be your answer if you can find it in your area.

11. LON

LON Senior Member

I'm afraid that if you mount it on the cab shield that your bed isn't going to raise. That underbody hoist isn't strong enough to overcome that much weight up there.