1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Custom light bar LED input please.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Midwest, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Hey Guys, I lost my beacon light last week when I was plowing. Anyway, I've been doing some checking around on here for some input. I am very curious about the remote mounted LED lights. I was thinking of mounting some on the top of my dump body as shown in picture. Do you think that 5 surface mounted led lights will be as bright as my old double beacon 55w halogen light. Or am I just simply on the wrong track. Any help asap would be greatly appreciated, I need to do something soon.

led lights.JPG
  2. jimslawns

jimslawns Junior Member
    from Mid MO

3. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

I would say run four on the front of the rack, Good idea. as far as running the on the back i would move them to the sides of the dump bed/rear. I was in landscaping for 7 years and any light we had on the top or back of the rack always seemed to get broken. examples, loading truck with long branches/brush, loading salt,stone,dirt, in the dark or in a hurry. They will be more effective on the rear too.. just my experiences.
  4. Does anyone know the light output of led's over the strobe or 55whalogen?

Thanks for the tips so far guys,, :drinkup:
  5. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

You will need to get some kind of strobe or rotator. Leds are great but very directional. You will not have any protection off to the sides of your truck...Rob
  6. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

You can go all LED's. I spec'd and ambulance that has all LED's except for a couple of white halogen flashers and back ups (white LED = payup ). You will need to put a couple of LED's on the sides because as Robhollar mentioned LED's are fairly directional. I would suggest 2 or 3 LED's on the front of the cab shield, one each side of the shield, and a couple out back under the body.

Some LED's (Whelen in particular) have the flasher built in to the head. These don't need a stand alone flasher only a 12V feed and you can program each head to a number of flash patterns.

LED's kick A**, and they are low draw too.
  7. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I would probably put the ones under the body at the rear at a 45 degree angle to get both side and rear from on set of heads. It should be really cool looking too.
  8. Keep it coming Guys, this information is making me want to spend the money to have the best plow rig I can make. I really appreciate all this info so far and I am currently searcing for the best deal on led kits. :drinkup:

Can anyone recommend where I can get the best deal on 6-8 led kit? payup
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  9. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

By the time you go out and spend all of that money just go out and buy a led light bar and save yourself a hole lot of grief. Not to mention when it comes as a light bar the leds are tied together and they have a flash sequence, it just looks allot better imo...Rob
  10. Midwest BuildIt Inc

The light bar is a good choice for pick ups , but you cant put it on a dump though . you can put it on top but you take the chance of loosen it or breaking it really easy up there.

Midwest , your on the right track. check ebay , they always have a lot of lights there. by the way nice lookin truck you have.
  11. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Bnc, I agree with ya if we were talkin about a strobe , but with these led light bars they have such low profile and with the top of the bar flat it would be so easy to make a guard for it....Rob
  12. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Rob , i can agree with you on that one . But i think he is going for a more custom look . I have a nice low profile bar on my truck, only 2" tall. It has 8 strobes , 4 leds , front work lights and alley lights . it looks awsome. a little overkill but i love it . no one else around here has one but the state police that i have seen.
  13. Thanks again guys, and BNC you are correct, I had to make a custom mount for my last beacon. I cannot put one on the truck because the bed hides it from rear site. I did have on on top of the bed with 4 75lb magnets and custom mount cue to the incline on the bed and it fell off. I do not want to permanantly mount one up there because I will not be able to pull into my garage. This is why I'm looking for the inconspicuous type of system. I'd love to have a LED lightbar, but don't want to take the chance of loosing one of them expensive units, a $200 loss was good enough. Rob, I do also appreciate your input as well, I thought of a hideaway strobe unit, but its about the same price and you need alot more controls and power. :drinkup:
  14. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest , I was also thinking of that . Alot of guys park there rigs in garages and barely clear the doors as it is . Hope you figure out what you want and take pics of it when your done. Good Luck
  15. Thanks BNC,Rob,Jim and WFD, I really appreciate the help you've given here. :drinkup:
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2004
  16. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

17. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

18. I've done some checking and it looks like I have it narrowed down to 2 different brands, Nova or Wheelen. They both have the self contained units that just require 12v hookup. The Nova has 56 LED's and I think the Wheelen has 40 LED's. The best price is on the Nova's, but I'm familiar with that brand. Does anyone have a preference on these brands? :dizzy:
  19. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest , I know that Whelen has been around for a long time and is used by a lot of fire and police departments. My light bar is made by whelen and i Have had no issues with it . Very reliable in my opinion . I can also pick up parts for it at any local strobe/police supply . They also sponsor a nascar driver if your a nascar fan . In my opinion Nova lights are an off/lower brand of lights .
  20. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Go with whelen!