1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Custom Landscape Concepts - Chevy with Tornado Sander

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by CLC LLC, Mar 7, 2010.

1. CLC LLC

CLC LLC Junior Member

Hey guys,
    Got a few pictures of my truck which happened to be semi-clean and of the Tornado sander I bought back in November 09. I read a lot of posts about the goods and bads of the sander but after 4 months of running it, I don't think I would go back to a stainless steel sander. We run straight bulk salt about 1 yard per round, as we do a lot of very steep driveways, but it has worked flawlessly. I was even able to modify it with a rack to hold my Toro snow blower on the back because I take care of two commercial properties with a good amount of sidewalks that have to be cleared.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. powerstroke08

powerstroke08 Junior Member

looks nice im not a big fan of Chevy but i would love to have that one

3. CLC LLC

CLC LLC Junior Member

thanks man. I wish it was a diesel but it has defiantly treated me well in the past few years and especially this winter season hauling around the plow and sander. My dad always had chevys growing up and thats why I bought this one but I use to work part time for company that had fords mostly 06 and newer and they were awesome. Would seriously consider if I had the funding haha.

4. powerstroke08

powerstroke08 Junior Member

yeah i was plowing with and 08 f350 this winter and it was awesome felt bigger then the Chevy

5. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I like that little back rack blower holder you made. At first I thought it was a step to look into the back. The tornado has served me well. I bought a fisher as a second salter.. same thing only the fisher has the inverted V in in and I find it actually holds the sand up from spreading properly.

6. CLC LLC

CLC LLC Junior Member

Thanks man. This tornado didn't have the inverted V when i bought it but I was worried about the weight of the salt on the belt so I installed it. I have used the sander approx. 10 times since then and I had some slight bridging during one storm without a vibrator on the unit. The other 9 times it ran flawlessly. We get our salt from an enclosed building so it defiantly helps that the salt is super dry. I believe the one time it did bridge in the hopper, it had rained overnight then turned to snow so there was some water in the salt. Overall I like the plastic hoppers and would buy a new one in a heartbeat with the separate controls for the spinner and the conveyor.

7. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Nice truck and spreader, why would you say this one/poly is better than SS? Just curious as I might want a v-box next year

8. CLC LLC

CLC LLC Junior Member

I would say less maintenance and less empty weight are the two biggest things about the poly hopper that I like. Plus you have the lids that eliminate the use of a tarp and no gas motors to mess with. I'm not as familiar with the SS so its hard for me to do an all out comparison but for pickup trucks poly defiantly seems to be the way to go because of the lighter weight, especially if you use the truck even when your not out working with it. Also with the poly hopper, taking the sander in and out is quick and easy with no chain hoist required.

9. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Ok thanks for the input

10. A.Landscaping

A.Landscaping Member

Nice looking Chevy

11. wellnermp

wellnermp Senior Member
    from Alaska

Nice pickup! Always really liked that body style.

12. DScapes

DScapes Member

is the box loaded in that pic? looks like the truck is sagging in the rear end a bit? have you added anything (timbrens, extra leaf spring?) for the added weight in the rear? 1.5 or 2 cubic yard capacity max? i see you only tun 1 ton at a time... could you go more with closing the lids still?

very interested in a box next year and that poly looks gooood! on my 02 gmc sierra 2500HD

13. CLC LLC

CLC LLC Junior Member

The box is empty in the pic with timbrens in the back. I have the front torsion bars cranked pretty good so the fisher plow doesn't drag the front end down. So with the plow off the truck does sit back a little bit. It is a 1.25 cubic yard hopper, if you went up and leveled it you could prolly get almost 1.5 in there and still have the lids closed. I would defiantly suggest the inverted V if your gonna run big loads through it as that's a lot of weight on the belt with the electric motor. Overall, the sander has been awesome.

14. CLC LLC

CLC LLC Junior Member

New Pics

New pic of the chevy 3500 duramax/allison with the Fisher 9'6 SS Extreme V will get more pics tomorrow it just came from the shop tonight. Has front timbrens and will have a 1.5 yd. poly hopper in back for winter.

[​IMG]

this is what the truck looked like before the plow...more after pics to come

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

sweet truck man.

16. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

I like the 2500 a lot, that is a very nice looking truck.

17. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

That 1 ton looks great!
    Keep it clean!

18. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Very NICE!! Only putting a 1.5 in the dump though? Why not a bigger one?

19. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

very clean looking trucks

20. CLC LLC

CLC LLC Junior Member

I would love a bigger one but I spent the money on the plow haha. Just not in the budget this year hopefully I can pick up a new polycaster if we have a good winter.