1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Custom exhaust and factory warranty?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by tnt69tnt69, Feb 15, 2003.

1. tnt69tnt69

tnt69tnt69 Member

Does anyone know if you can put a custom true dual exhaust on, or will it void the warranty for this type of work being done?

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Need a lot more information. What kind of truck, engine, stock exhaust, etc.

Generally what catches eyes during an inspection is missing catalytic converters.

Unless you have a knowledgable exhaust man you are better off buying a system that is made/mathched to your truck/engine specs. This is where the best gains in performance can be had.
  3. tnt69tnt69

tnt69tnt69 Member

It's an '03 5.3L I was going to leave both cats on and all the o2 sensors in place and run two seperate pipes off of each cat out the back without any mufflers. The local muffler franchise shop was going to make it.
    I can't seem to find any kits for an '03 that give true dual cat-back exhaust. They all seem to be a single in dual out muffler setup. If you know of a true dual kit let me know.

4. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

The way that our local muffler shop told me is, according to the EPA (feds) if the vehicle came with a Y pipe into a single cat, then thats what you must keep. Otherwise it is illegal and State Troopers can give you numerous tickets. But if it came equipped like the 96-early 99 (old body style), with each side of the motor having its own header pipe and cat, then you can run true duals, but you may still get pinched by the cops for loud exhaust. As far as voiding the warranty, it all depends on the dealership you go to. If they wanted to, then they could, since it was altered from the way it came from the factory. Most shouldn't have a problem with it though, but you should find this out first.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2003
  5. Yzal

Yzal Member
    from ND

i've been told the only way it will void your warrenty is if you replace the headers. now the law part i have no idea i think it depends more on the weather and if the cop wants to get cold!
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Todd,you should be fine,as you already stated you are only modifing after the cat convertors,so you can do anything you want after the cats,from an emissions standpoint.Noise emissions laws will be broken:D . Warranty concerns,I wouldnt have any,I see a lot fo those truck on the showroom floor with custom duals, especially the conversion trucks.You wont be picking up enough hp to hurt anything,IMO.
  7. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Our dealership has an Exhaust system by Corsa, that is made specifially for Chevy's. It fits 1/2 tons, Avalanches, and Corvettes. Sounds great.
  8. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

you can

YOu can change your exhaust and it will ony void the warranty on the parts you replace . This is a nationwide judicial ruling . Now what the EPA will think about it .....thats another story . I wont say a word
  9. ToyotaPower

ToyotaPower Senior Member

Go to a chevy dealership outside your imediate area and speak to the manager of the service department face to face. Ask him what he would do if he was in your shoe's.:waving:

I would never do anything to any of my trucks, which would gives a chevy dealership any reason to not cover a warranty job.