1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Custom Controller Mount (Smart Touch 2)

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Mopard, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Fabbed up a controller mount for my new Smart Touch 2 so I don't have to hold it all day. I detest handhelds in general but this worked out real well for me ... very comfortable. Nice that Boss has the option to remove the handle.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. contractor078

contractor078 Senior Member

Sweet where can i get one?? looks like its works really well great finish on it

3. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

slick controller mount

4. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Very Nice!! Looks factory!

Can you rest your arm on the arm rest?

5. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

That is true CRAFTSMANSHIP!:nod:

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Starting with the joystick mounting kit makes it handy and less labor intensive (helpful when you're charging by the hour). Done a few that way myself. :drinkup:

7. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Thanks, the only way you'll get a mount similar to this is to put together your own or have someone do it. I don't know why they don't offer something like this ... I bet it would be popular. B&B is right in that it'd be quickest to start with a joystick type mount if you can get your hands on one for a decent price. These pieces are very easy to copy and make from scratch out of scrap for free if making your own. I had access to a big steel brake which helped keep the bends nice and sharp.
    I rest my arm on the sill in the Dodge as always and the controller fits like a glove. It took a little trial & error to get the compound angles and shape just right so I can cup it my hand naturally but it was definitely worth the effort. You definitely want to be able to cup the controller fully in your hand! I used some light aluminum to get a pattern then transferred it to the heavier steel. All pieces are rubberized for comfort and warmth while plowing with the window down ... much nicer to hold onto than painted steel in the cold. I used a spray rubber and applied countless coats. Industrial velcro holds the controller itself firmly in place but allows removal when needed. I got the stick on pieces from a buddy that works in a body shop.
    The controller itself is very intuitive and easy to use ... this setup makes it absolutely perfect for me. One quirk ... the raise/lower toggle is opposite to the joystick I had used for the past decade so I need to re-train my subconcience ... I keep raising the blade when I mean to lower it and vice versa ... lol. Amazing how stubborn your mind is.
    Lovin' the Boss VXT so far. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  8. wisplowboy

wisplowboy Junior Member
    from NW, WI

Or you could switch the wires around so it works the way you are used to. Just a thought.

9. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

You're right, it woulda been easier than retraining my brain but I pretty much have it now lol, thanks.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Won't work that way unless you flip the actual rocker over anyway. So don't sweat it now that you're getting used to it. :D

11. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Yeah, after about 100 more hrs use so far this season it's pretty much automatic ... if I changed it back now I'd be all messed up again.