1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Custom Classic E47

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Fantastic, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Greetings Folks!! Curious if I am wasting time thinking this polw set up will mount to my 04 GMC Sierra 2500HD. I know I'll need to buy parts or make parts but I am lacking the knowledge to make that decission on exaclty what I would need.

Here are some pics... Plow is off a late model 70's GMC but is believed to be in the '91 era??

If any more info is required of me please ask.

Thanks Thumbs Up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

that whole frame looks like it was home made to start with.
    anything over $250-$300 is too much, since you are really only buying the pump and lights, and that is all they are worth used.

3. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

I am looking at the complete plow and harness with controls for $500 right now. I just don't know how modified this harness is and don't want to order the upper and lower mounts (not sure of exact part name) if it won't work. I guess to any welder metal is just pladoh anyway ;)

4. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

I would keep looking.

5. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

I'm just thinking I should explain what I would be using the plow for...

It will be for me and my family's driveways... About 6 in total. I'm not looking to get into business but if the option presents itself then I would go brand new or lightly used for a plow. I my area of eastern Ontario we get snow and at times we get a lot of snow. I just want to help out my mom, inlaws, aunt/uncle and sister here and there. I've always wanted to plow and this year I said I'm doing it. lol

I don't want to get into headaches but at the same time for the amount of plowing I will be doing I don't want to spend thousands of dollars to do it. This is the only complete package I have found fully working under $1000.00

6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

keep looking...lots of deals out there, with a lot less work.....whatever you buy it is best you can get your money out of it later....

7. leolkfrm

if need be ...drive to the states and return with it mounted so it looks like its been on the truck

8. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Dont waste your time with that. Find something designed to fit your truck. You dont want that hanging off the front year round.

9. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Great idea, recommend smuggling.

10. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I have built two mounts and I would recommend to you if you have the fab skills to make it work.
    The first was on a 78 f-50 and the second on my 2010 Dodge I do leave the head gear on all winter but it slides of two receiver type tubes so it's off for the summers.
    this piece stays on the truck,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. leolkfrm

no just avoiding the 13 percent gst tax...a lot of the plows are duty free like cars and trucks...

12. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

If that's the case, you shouldn't have any problem installing it AFTER importing it. Let the guy in the booth know that you purchased it. The only reason to make it look like it was always there, is to pretend that you already owned it.

13. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

I'll be picking it up this week... Got it all for $400 after further negotiations.

My friend is a ticketed fabricator so I'm in good hands. I'll post pics once we get a mount set up and installed. I plan on making this set up an easy on off project. I will look at pin installation vs bolt. It comes down to strength.

I'm excited to get this working as snow is starting to stay on the ground here ;)

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. Glad I joined!!

14. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Update:

After thinking about making a mount I ended up deciding to buy a mount specific for my truck...

I sought advice from "smith brothers" and found out more info about my plow. Apparently it is/will be sticking out quite far in front of my truck and it doesn't need to. So knowing that I could shorten the "A" frame left me pondering the idea that I can increase or decrease the width of the plow mounts(LOL the two parts that pin to the mount, not sure what they are specifically called)

I found an Arctic mount for $150 virtually new (check pic) and will now shorten the "A" frame which will shorten the width between the mounts to match the Arctic as the plow mounts are wider. Then its just a matter of making mounts for the pump and light assembly to attach.

Any feed back is welcome :mechanic:

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Anyone know what gauge wire I should be using to wire everything with?? Or should I just use a wire stripper to gauge it??

Thanks

16. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I'm no expert but I would say use 4 gauge for the pump hot and ground. For the lights I would use 16 gauge or match up to what the existing lights have.

17. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Ok, some progress FINALLY!! Got the mounting all ready to go and I am now prepping to wire ever thing up.

Looking at Smith Bro's site http://www.meyerplows.info/meyer-toggle-switch-wiring.html to wire up the toggles and pump I don't think mine are/is a match.

Here are pics of my toggles....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I looked at it a few different ways and it just doesn't match what the diagram shows.

Any ideas???

18. leolkfrm

myers site has the wire diagrams

also sw where someone was making harnesses from scratch...if i can remember where it was ill post

19. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

It's not that complicated, the motor solenoid needs to be activated for left (no other wires or valves), for right, the solenoid and the green wire "c" valve and for up, the motor solenoid and the red wire "b" valve and only the "A" valve for down (motor does not run for down).. .

try this
    View attachment plow switch wiring.pdf

20. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

I'm not thinking its hard just want to be sure.... My toggle switches aren't the same as the diagram on smith bros. BUT after reading a bit more including this last link Ive got it figured out....

My power wire is the black one... Right on the smith bros write up it says older toggles had a black wire for the power instead of a blue one. So looks like I'm out of the woods and seeing into the distance lol Thanks for the replies!!!!