1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Custom Bumpers...

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by BreyerConstruct, Oct 10, 2005.

1. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

Here's a few pix of some custom bumpers we made up for my 01 Dodge.
    We stayed with 2x8 steel with the ends capped for the back bumpers.
    We used 2x10 steel for the front, notched & bent it, capped the ends, then platted the top & bottom.
    I think we've added about 500lbs to the truck with these bumpers, the headache rack, & the rails.

The rack's bolted thru the box & rails into the bed. It's strong, but the bed it's into is only so strong. Next time we'll use bigger angle running along the bed, and take the rack to the floor.

Hope this inspires you guys. :p After backing my old truck into a tree & ruining the bed I promised myself I'd get a "real" bumper.
    I'm not a fan of the factory ones, other than they look nice, they don't really work.

Oh, one last note, we sprayed them down with Rust Bullet before we painted them. I'm hoping it's everything they say it is.

~Matt

P.S.
    Total cost on the bumpers, headache rack, rail supports (2x3 angle steel) is just over $1200, plus some of my labor.

Truck & AJB 001.jpg

Truck & AJB 002.jpg

Truck & AJB 003.jpg

Truck & AJB 004_edited.jpg

2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

how have the 860s been.Just put one on my 05 quad cab can't wait to use it

3. BreyerConstruct

Hey Echo,

They're awesome plows. Easy to put on & take off. Just the right size, too. I had a 8' Meyers & a 7.5 Western before this, neither rolled the snow as well, or was big enough to clear my trail very well (they were on a Chevy 3500 & a Ford 150).

Very nice plows. Lord willing, I won't have to mess with them this year 'cause they're still all but new, & everything will be great! LOL

~Matt

4. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

Those bumpers look great.... Nice job!!!

5. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

nice job on that front bumper, looks stout. I am still conteplating on whether i am going to build one like that w/ winch in the middle and doors on top so i can stoor tools inside, or doing more like the prerunner tube style, but i have some 4" diam 1/4" walled tube so it would still be stout.

How come you didn't build in any backup lights on the rear bumper, that way you could keep them nice and safe and out of the way of everything

6. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

The front bumper looks great, but the back looks like ya tosses a 2x4 on there and painted it black. Needs lights, and taper the ends so it doesn't look like a 2x4 and maybe weld a trim piece on top so the gaps not there

7. BreyerConstruct

The back's a 2x8; but I'm a carpenter so I'm more anal about that. :)
    We origionally were going to put diamond plate across the top of the back bumper. Given time & cost, we decided to wait, and instead get the bumpers on & functional.

On the front bumper, I've lost my factory fog lights. I'm thinking of mounting new ones between the bottom of the bumper & the top of the Blizzard mount. that will be usefull, but fairly well protected.

Regarding the back bumper, building lignts in would have been nice. We didn't though for 3 reasons. Cost/time, I already have back-up lights up underneath, and protection. While lights built in would be surounded by steel, they could be "poked out" if we backed into a brush pile ir scrap pile.
    Wut it would look cool!

I dunno. I think the next bumpers will be fancier- built in lights, tow hooks & hitches.

Oh, storage in the bumper? Very cool! I've never thought of that.

~Matt

8. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

i borrowed these pics from Steve on fullsizebronco.com.....I figured this would give some people more ideas. I like how he made the front grill guard fold down to carry more things, he also had toolboxes up front to IIRC. But i like the back also

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

You have to give credit where credit is due...the fold down grill guard is a fantastic idea!

10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

wow, that is some cool stuff(like thats the adjective I wanted to use)