1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cust wants me to promise 6-7 oclock service

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by birddseedd, Nov 23, 2011.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

so. what. if i dont plow in between 6 an 7 am they arnt gonna pay me or somethign?

nutzos

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

No promises like that. Of course you'll try your best, but what about all the "what ifs"?

3. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

No they'll probably just find someone who will. Nothing abnormal really. All part of putting together a good route (finding clients who can be plowed at certain time slots throughout the night. Everybody can't be done between 7-8am like they want so it's always a balance.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Hour spread? I'll take that job then.

5. birddseedd

it can be done if you only have a few driveways to do each day.

6. APLC

APLC Senior Member

What if it doesn't start until let's say 5a.m and takes two hrs to get to trigger? Will you start the route with this one resi? What we say is NO we can't guarantee what time it will snow so we will try our best to get to you as soon as we can. Better to say that then break a promise to a customer because then they feel like you don't care about them as a customer. IMO

7. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

Screw the "what-ifs", start earlier if you must. I have clients that only signed my business because of the early clearing times offered. Unlike other companies in my area that offer later start times or wait til snowfall ceases. Do what you must to keep clients happy, all thses clients are your BOSS and shall let you know how well you did by signing you again the following winter regardless of price. I have a 100% return this season....

8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

What about vehicle or equipment break downs? What about a driver calling in sick or not showing up at all? What if the alarm clock doesn't go off?

Ya, screw the "what-ifs" !

9. rebert

rebert Senior Member

I have a few customers that request certain times and i tell them ill keep note of it and do my best, i explain about the trigger depth and start time and remind them that's why i plow with the storm so that there driveway is always at least passable. so far its worked out ok for me..

10. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

ok so whats the issue????
    starts snowing at 5 r 6 oclk go salt the hell out of the place then come back later and plow or blow it
    or starts snowing at 5 swing by and scrape it clean it up.
    make sure you charge them for each time you go and tell them that you will (not maybe) be there a few times inorder to meet their needs.
    what if it starts snowing at 10oclk at nite are you not going to go there until it stops. the guy probley has to go to work a lot of jobs now a days do not give employees any leeway on call out time. if that is the case i would do my best to see what i can do to get the job done.

11. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Those are called exceptions. As long as the exceptions don't become the norm the customers are understanding. It all depends on your track record with them. If your alarm doesn't go off or a guy calls in sick and the lot doesnt get done most likely they're going to tell you to hit the road. (sorry ass excuses and lack of preparation.) if your truck breaks down and it takes til 8:00 for your backup sub to plow the lot instead of the normal 7:00 plow and you inform the customer exactly what is happening and why, they'll understand that things do happen but you were prepared and implemented a plan B to get the job done. Most what-ifs can be eliminated with proper preparation and planning...

12. APLC

APLC Senior Member

Yep new too

13. APLC

APLC Senior Member

6 P"s **Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance**

14. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Mr. Plow guy, don't wake me up by coming before my alarm clock goes off. But I will give you an hour for you to get it done so I have a clean driveway before I go to work. I've tried pleasing customers like this, but they almost always turn out to be a huge PITA. If they want a premium service, make sure you charge them a premium fee. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

15. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

absoluty agree ussmileyflag

16. birddseedd

well. i dont mind trying to adjsut my route to make as many people happy as i can.. but mathmatics is mathmatics. if the quickest you can get through your route is 8 hours, you are not going to be able to do everyone withn a 1 hour timeframe.

the problem is for my buddy is that he wants to contract me to do the work, and if need be he is going to contract a few people for each part. the rest of hte people will tell him ya i promise ill be there between 6 and 7. and when they arnt the customers are going to be made at him. not the guy doing the work.

17. APLC

APLC Senior Member

Yes they will

18. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

A vehicle shouldn't break if well maintained or newer or both. Equipment shouldn't break for the same reason. Use equipment power over manpower so driver cant call in sick. If an employee/s are required, offer season ending bonuses for not missing a snowfall. Heck fire driver if calls in sick.

Set numerous alarm clock. I steal clients from companies like yours if these are excuses you use. I'll see you glaring at me while I am plowing your OLD client for more $$$$$

19. birddseedd

so what will you do when you lose a u joint, a non maintainable part?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  20. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

:laughing:

1. I don't have my own company. I plow for somebody else for $100 an hour and the clock starts when the phone rings and stops when I get home.

2. I wouldn't make time guarantees so I would never have to offer one of these excuses because ***t happens. However, I would organize the route to try and make all the customers as satisfied as possible with time requests.

3. Can we see pics of the Tundra pushing the Wideout and the HTS?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011