1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cushion valve removal tricks?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 86f350, Sep 11, 2011.

1. 86f350

86f350 Member

Im trying to remove the cushion valves out of a 08 pro plus. Ive soaked them with PB Blaster for weeks, used a hand impact driver, heated up valve body and also broke extractors trying to get them out. It kinda suck everything worked good just trying to get everything freed up and anti siezed so if it breaks in the winter i wont be screwing around. Now im stuck with a jump piece of aluminum. Any tips or tricks. Im snaping Snap On extractors like they are a twig. Ive had problems on past plows but nothing this bad. Western needs to make them out of stainless or something because its always a problem. THANKS
    Nick

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

That sounds bad, breaking off extracotors! Normally these valves are not even tight because you have to set the tension on the springs so they don't really bottom out to the point where they would get tight like a normal bolt would. If I am clear on the parts you are talking about you might be able to drill out the centre and then use and extractor to remove the remains but it is imperitive that you don't drill too big or you will damage the aluminum housing. What kind of Snap On extractor are you using? These crossover relief valves come with slotted heads for a flat screw driver so how are you getting an extractor in? Are you sure you are working on the crossover relief valves, aka cushion valves?

Unfortunately now that you have heated them the o-rings are probably damaged so you have no choice but to continue. You may end up needing a replacement valve body.

3. 86f350

86f350 Member

Yeah im working on the cushion valves. Ive had worked on and have been through a dozen of these plows. I know they are just held in by spring tension. Its just aluminum oxidizing and steel rusting they really dont go together really well. They are all corroded and rusted in. im using a easy out style Snap on extractor. I kept breaking flathead bits on impact driver so i drilled them out for the extractor. I know they are junk because i heated them. I planned on getting new ones anyways. Im just gonna heat the piss out of the body now and see if they come out. i got nothing to loose now, if it doesnt work i guess i have to spend the $300 for the new valvebody. I hate it when preventative maintaince bites you in the ass.

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Remember that the aluminum will expand faster than the steel valves so focus your heat on the aluminum. Good luck.

5. 86f350

86f350 Member

Yeah 10-4. Thanks