1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Curvy long drives.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sno, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Ok guys, newbie here!

I have just gotten one of those Doctor type drives.

The long, curvy, pristeene (sp) black top drives with manicured lawn.

Problem... Looks like I'll be doing it at night tonight.

How do you guys make sure you find the blacktop with the plow instead of the lawn?

And do you use the snow shoes and where do you set them if you do?

I pushed it once but could see the edges, might not have that luck tonight.

Thought about hand shoveling or walking the entire perimiter but thought Id ask for any better ways, less time consuming.

Dont want to look too much like a rookie.

Its about a 1/4 mile run, three curves.

Any help?

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

It may be too late to do it now because the ground will be frozen, but we usually use long wooden stakes painted orange at the top to mark drives. We pound them in during the fall cleanups and then are set for winter. This is effective on curvy drives although you still may pick up a little of the edge once in awhile.

3. Santa

Santa Junior Member

Take a large steel tent stake or pry bar,roughly the same diameter as your snow stake, and pound it into the ground with a sledge hammer.Then remove it and pound in your snow stake.

This won't be easy but it can be done.

D.L.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

This won't help you tonight, but I put a spotlight on my truck for these situations. Your plow lights won't focus enough light on the edge to see the grade difference, but a spotlight will show you even the slightest grade change. I start in the center and work carefully to the edge.

5. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

we us 1/2 inch sch. 40 pvc to mark the edges and curbs. buy them at lowes or home depot for about 90 cents for a 10 foot lenght. cut it equally into 3 pieces giving you 3 - 40 inch markers. paint the end with red or orange and your all set. very professional looking also.

6. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

I use plastic tubes. They are bright orange, about 3/8" in diameter, hollow, about 30" long. I take an old screw driver and put a hole in the ground, then push the tube in. Once the ground freezes you can even run over them and not hurt them. I have even run the plow over them. As long as you push the pile far enough to not leave it right on them, they will stand right back up. And at 25¢ each, I can use them excessively and it doesn't cost me a fortune.

I have a friend that insists on using wood stakes. The trouble is that it doesn't take much to bump into one and "snap" it breaks off. It makes plowing his drives a little like a bull in a china shop.

Once you try these, you will never want to use anything else.

7. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Dave,

I'm using the same markers. I cut some in half & using a piece of 1/4 dowel, spliced them together. Also wrapped the top with reflective tape. They look great. I ran a few over and they stannd right back up. I have'nt had the oppertunity to plow my whole route this year but on the couple of properties I have that are "0" tolerance, they have worked great. If you get more than 100 they are like .22 each. Can't beat it.

Mark

8. rick barnes

rick barnes Member

Like everyone says , it's to late to do much now. I use excavating flag markers $1.98 pkg of 10. small colored plastic flag on a wire to stick in the ground.They are cheap & if they get lost no much $$.& if you hit them with the plow they spring back up.

Good Luck

Rick

READY TO PLOW'

9. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Dave K,

Is the plastic tube you are talking about the same as pvc pipe?

Thanks

10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Last time I tries those plastic ones they broke just like the wood. Cheaper to use the wood and if it snaps so be it. After a few storms you can tell where the edge is by the windrow anyway.

11. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Mike, They might be pvc but I doubt it.

CT18fireman, if the plastic ones you used broke, they aren't the same ones. These can be bent by hand till they kink, and still straighten out. I don't see how you can find wood stakes for less than 25¢

Handy Haver, "I cut some in half & using a piece of 1/4 dowel, spliced them together." Maybe I am missing the point, but why cut them in half just to splice them back together? :)

I buy them locally from my plow dealer, but found them at Replacement Commercial Parts Warehouse.

I doubt that I would pay $18 for an "installation tool" or $15 for a drill bit though. An old screw driver works great as my installation tool.

http://www.rcpw.com/Snow_Shop/enter.html?target=Snow_Plow_Parts_Snowplow_AccessoriesDriveway_Stake_Markers.html

12. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I was a little confused by that one too.

A word of caution with wood: I had an account where the homeowner had placed wooden markers about a foot out from the edge and then we had a Nor'easter. 28" of snow in 10 hours and high winds. This guy had 3'+ drifts in his drive, I would say a 25 to 30 degrees incline, and no site of the markers. I tried to back up and push out, but with all the snow and ice, along with ruts, the truck went where it wanted. I ran over one of the markers and it stuck my tire in the middle of this blizzard. So here I am changing a tire in the middle of the storm!

13. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

sorry guys, let me clarify that one. I splice the cut one to a full lenth making a 4' marker. that better. sometimes it's easier to talk than it is to type.

Mark

14. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I think that website has a problem. I didn't see the quantity discount amounts so for kicks I enetered 100 in the quantity field and hit the add to basket button. I was presented a window that said my order would be discounted to $2200 :eek: I guess its me, but it looks like my "discount" was a price increase to $22 from 0.24. I guess its better to order them one at a time. (LOL)

15. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Seems like a decent price. Has anyone ordered plow parts from them?

Thanks

16. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Mike,

I think they come 28" long. Seemed a little short for some spots so thats why I cut & spliced some giving me a 42" marker. A little marine grade epoxy on the splice and they are good to go. Made like 65 for less than 30 bucks.

17. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Mike,

I ordered a set of prowings from them. Including shipping was like 190.00. and had them in less than a week. Same thing with the markers.(fast shipping) So far very happy with service & price.

Mark

18. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Maybe they were not the same. I know some of my customers mark their own drives so I will have to check them and see. I get lengths of 1x3" strapping from a lumberyard (also my neighbor) and rip it down. 8ft strapping costs under a buck and yields 6 stakes. Add a little orange paint and you are set. This fall I ripped maybe 100 stakes in well under an hour.

19. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

HandyHaver, after my post, I realized that was what you were doing, but though it would be more fun to leave my post as is. :D

Somewhere on the their website, you can request a free copy of their catalog(s). I requested the snow plow parts catalog and they mailed me the mower parts. So I went back and requested the other one, and mentioned that they sent the wrong one, and had it within days.

Pelican01, good point about the wood stakes. The thing I don't like about wood is that if you (or anyone) breaks one, you will have a heck of a time driving a new one after the ground is frozen.

Rob, I noticed that 500 is discounted to $11,000. lmao