1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

curved offroad light bar / strobes

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by rico, Feb 9, 2016.

1. rico

rico Member

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Been looking around for one myself. Looking for a 50"-52" curved with floods on the outside and spots in the middle. I'm not sure what to get yet, I see prices all across the board from 100.00 to well over a grand for 50" combinations that all claim to have 300 watts. Not sure of the differences between the cheaper ones and the expensive ones.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

That would be useless while snowing unless you like headaches.

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

"Seizures" grand mal.

seizure.jpg

5. rico

rico Member

They sell a piece of aluminum that goes under the light bar to prevent glare on your hood and windshield. I like the option of switching between a bright off-road light and color strobes in a all in one device. Just not sure if I want it to do both at once.

6. 1olddogtwo

The brighter the light, the fast the flash, the hard the snow, the faster you'll have a seizure.

It's just not a good idea for so many good reasons, and I'm a fan of vehicle lighting.

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yea. No way. I have clear strobes in the rear and there blinding, couldn't imagine them in the front. The color changing all the time would suck as well

8. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

The big differences between the cheap ones and the expensive ones are quality, durability and actual light output. First of all, the true usable light output of the cheap bars it actually pretty pathetic. Although some throw a lot of light, little of it is focused and / or useful. Put those two together, and when it's snowing, all that's going to happen is that you're going to blind yourself.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Why..................

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

No forward facing red light illuminated or not is allowed, in most all states, unless you "are" a emergency response vehicle.

and the blue is not allowed for the same reason unless your MDOT
    or police.

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

SDS Thumbs Up

12. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

i put a 20" hyperspot flood driving combo between the head lights on my plow and it works great. i think because it isnt rite above my windshield i dont get that crazy snow glare. i wired it to my high beams and havnt had any issues,

13. rico

rico Member

They have just white and Amber. Color was not an issue. I see a lot of trucks with these light bars above the windshield. Since this one had 2 different steady light output and the availability to strobe, I was wondering what others thought? How many plow with their strobes and high beams on? Which is more important, strobes or being able to see? I would think a bright light would get attention while plowing? There has been talk about mounting these light bars to a plow but does anyone use them over the windshield?

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Paint your hood flat black, and aim the "light" so your not looking the beam of light , to help minimize glare.

what is that called rave lighting or disco lighting?

15. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

We have said it's not a good idea.
    I personally have have my lights wired for high beams and run my strobes/leds. However my "bright" white ones are rear facing, and my front are angled.
    Bright light yes, and proper placement yes.
    There's a few guys that put the light bar on the plow headgear.

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You don't want it on your roof.

17. JustJeff

I was just thinking white, not color, and not flashing either. And using it at night when it's done snowing and I'm doing clean-up.

18. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I mounted a 14" Flood/Spot LED bar between my plow lights, used is 2prong plug/pig tail at the bumper and wire to a separate relay/switch. I get to a lot, turn off plow lights and used the light bar. No glare, not in my field of vision and being mounted in the center of the pickup the flared wings don't block the light.

19. JustJeff

You don't happen to have a night picture showing how bright the light bar is, do you?

20. 1olddogtwo

Bingo.

Light in front is good

Light over your head is bad during snowfall, light cascading down will cause you to go crazy and will diminish vision, especially when looking in the side mirrors while backing up. Constant refocusing of the eyes from white bright to dark mirrors. That's one example.

Plowing commercial store fronts, the light reflecting off the glass will be very distracting as well as a nuisance.

Also, they are not very aerodynamic and most will cause a annoying wind noise at speed.

I also have a 20 bar mount between my plow light, more then enough.

Just saying.