1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Curtis too low to ground

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ROYALT91, Dec 5, 2005.

1. ROYALT91

ROYALT91 Member

I picked up a new truck this year 2 door tahoe with a 7 1/2 curtis. I have adjusted my chain prob to the tightest i could have, But it still seems it should lift a little higher. There are three holes with a shackle at the end of the chain on the A-Frame, would moveing the chain to the forward hole make the lift a little higher.

Not like plowing with a jeep, with a lift. The best way to go no worries of ever bottoming the plow frame out, on driveway entrances.

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

You have to crank the torosion bars 5 times, do a search on this site, lots of threads about how to do this.

Good Luck Mike

3. ROYALT91

ROYALT91 Member

torsion bars

I cranked them up 4 turns it did raise it about 1/2 inch. I hear its not good to go all the way the tires tend to toe in, and wear uneven

4. mr hydroseed

mr hydroseed Member

curtis chain location

moving the shackle forward will give you more leverage to lift the plow but it will travel upwards less than if you mounted the shackle as close to the truck as possible or the pivot point of the plow frame.

5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

How far off the ground is the plow when raised??? Maybe there is more room than you think...

6. ROYALT91

ROYALT91 Member

lift

If i keep it straight its up plenty. But angling it just seems too low compared to other plows. So HYDOSEED where should i position the Shackle. thanks

7. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I have a curtis plow also.... When straight its fine, but your right when angled its real low to the ground. But honestly, I dont care, only time it scaped is when I turn or hit a big bump. When going in driveways I just put it straight and im fine.

I dont think the blade edge scraping the cement a little is hurting it, unless your doing 70, but you shouldnt be doing more than 55 anyway.

8. pelletman

pelletman Junior Member
    from MA

Probably Installing Timbrens

would help. I have the same problem, cranked up the torsion bars today, but I still think I need something extra. Ballast in the bed helps too