1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

curtis snowplows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mike Plow, Mar 14, 2000.

1. Mike Plow

Mike Plow Junior Member

any body out there using curtis snowplows<br>with the hitch and run system.need input<br>from the field any problems and comments

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I don't own a curtis nor do i know anyone that does. So what i am going to tell you is from my mind set.<p>Ok i put a Curtis plow on the same level as a meyer. Full blade trip, weak frame ( just read the post ), but a good mounting system. If you want to see how i would rate plows look below.<p>This is for construction and design of the blade only, doesn't include mounting systems.<p>1 Diamond and Fisher <br>2 Western <br>3 Boss<br>4 Hinker I think that's spelled right<br>5. Meyer and Curtis <p>I think western builds one of the best full trip blades. Only i am believer in the trip edge style blade, and also believe they are built stronger but weigh more ( so have the truck to take the weight).<p>I know it isn't exactly what ya asked for, but maybe it helps.<p>PS do ya own the blade yet or just looking around?<p>Geoff

3. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

We don't have a curtis, but the dealer we got our Meyer from in our area decided to carry curtis for the first time this year. He probably will drop their line next year. We were in getting our crappy old E-47 worked on...again, and one of his guys said they'd had 3 brand new curtis' in with problems. He didn't go into detail (and we were in a hurry anyway) but he inferred that they were major structural problems. Sorry I can't give you any details cause I didn't press him any further. <p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>

4. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

I thought Curtis' were designed fairly well. They're quite popular around here.<p>As far as Meyers, I guess it's which one you use. When we plowed with Meyers, we bought M9 municipal models and cut them down to 8'. They were tough.<p>There isn't any pick-up mounted plow I've ever seen that would take the abuse a Boss straight blade would.<p>Every Western from Pro-plow on down we'd make into scrap in 2 years.<p>I can't speak for hydraulics of the different plows, all our trucks have custom clutch-pump hydraulics.

5. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

The contractor who plows my street bought a new Curtis this year. He stopped by last storm to show me it. Was mounted on a new GMC. He loved the mounting system, couldn't praise it enough, he has had many different types over the years. He is getting on in age, and appreciates the easy hookup. <p>I looked it over quick. The blade looks solid enough. Plenty of ribs. I'm not sold on their &quot;hideaway&quot; hydro setup yet, don't like how low it is located. The controls looked Ok, and the hydraulics were fast. I just don't think the system is as strong as my old Fisher setup, it's not as heavy either. Have to wait a couple of years to see how it holds up for him....<p>Dave

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Well I have seen the curtis and it looks good.However I have never used one, so I would not give an opinion either way. I find it better to say nothing when I havent used a product, than to surmise what I think and be wrong.<br>I have a meyer husky 8' and it is very stout. I have it mounted to a conventional (old) style fisher frame system. I have another driver in this truck and liked the idea of a full trip design, rather than a bottom trip. Let the plow take the abuse not the truck. I also have found that full trip plows throw and scrape better than a fisher bottom trip. I have never used a diamond, so I wont surmise how they throw snow or scrape. But I am sure that Geoff will say it does great, he should write their marketing. Geoff are you sure you dont own the company,or at least stock in it.<br>The curtis does have a very wide push frame to moldboard attachment,so the a frame is pushing along a wide area of the moldboard.<br>And the attachment system is slick.<br>I am wary of changing brands tho, we have 3 westerns now, and the benifits of one brand of plow is very high.<br>I am not saying that western is the best, but we like them, and the parts inventory is lower.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

7. GeoffD

I don't own Diamond or any of there stock. The thing about Diamond is that you can set the blades at 3 different settings ( which can give you great scraping abilities, and also let the blade ride in a way so that it doesn't damage as much lawn works good this time of the year when the lawn is soft) <p>I really like their attachment system, ane believe they build a rock soild product. The problem with diamond is they are a very small company. They almost went under in the late 80s or early 90s, then meyer bought them out. So they are a small company that isn't know very well, i have never saw a diamond add in my life. I just think that more people need to try them out, and they will like them. Look at Phil, never used a Diamond before never really looked at them, i can remember he said fisher and their min mount was great. Look he has his first Diamond and a good dealer from what it sounds like, i think he will buy another diamond. <p>The end thing is i don't own diamond or their stock. They do build a good product, and if ya ever have time to check them out, take a look i bet you will like what ya see.<p>Geoff

8. Vince Panaroni

Vince Panaroni Member

I know the Curtis people very well and I know that Mark Curtis and his brother Fred are working real hard at improving their line of plows. They have expanded their facility in Worcester, Mass several times and spend a lot of time and money in building quality products. I know that good input to them will lead to better products. They also make great cabs for tractors and have a good selection of mounting apparatus for hooking plows on to skid steerers, tractors, front end loaders and the like. Rating anything is subject to your own personal preference. One guy may like Fords, others Dodges, and still others like Toyotas. Isn't it what works well for you? Contact Curtis at their email address and get what ever data they have, and I know its extensive. I think many of us like the idea of being judge and jury.<p>vince

9. plowking35

from SE CT

Vince is that an italion temper i see. I dont want to see any guinie pigs around here.<br>But he makes a good point, by prejudging a product we undermine the ability and opportunity to find a better product.<br>Geoff if you dont own diamond/meyer stock you should, that way you can make some $$ from all the people at this forum that will but new diamond plows.And a little marketing $$$ for all the good things that you write.<br>Dino

10. GeoffD

I think meyer's stock is privately traded. Dino i can say the same thing for you with your majic cutting edges ( i can't remember how to spell the name, don't think i am trying to tick ya off). Anyways if i had have boughten my edges in bulk this year 3 for each truck, i would be talking to the guy in NH. Only right now we are still on the first one, haven't even flipped it yet ( i think i might be good for 2 years).<p>Geoff

11. plowking35

from SE CT

Geoff I will own stock in the cutting edge company.Seriously as soon as they make it avaiable I will buy some. Why not we all should be willing to invest in things we feel are good products.<br>Dont worry Geoff I dont take anything you say seriously. I mean you drive fords for gods sake.<br>Dino <br>

12. GeoffD

Dino<p>Try a ford for a year, i bet you will never look back.<p>I had my GMC thats a chevy back in 88. Read snow's post on truck hoist.<p>Geoff

13. plowking35

from SE CT

Just cant do it. If I ever need a 15000+ gvw 4x4 I guess i wont have a choice. Its one of those pride things I guess. I have always owned GM's and they have serviced me well. If it aint broke dont fix it. I am starting a rebuild of an 86 3/4 ton 4x4 that I bought a few weeks ago for 500$. With 2-3k invested I will have a kicking truck.<br>I now have the ext warranty on my 98 to 100K bumper to bumper so I will hold on to this till the fall of 2002. Then we will see what to buy next.<br>Dino

14. Vince Panaroni

Vince Panaroni Member

It's amazing that a guy puts a note on a board to get information and right away the data he was looking for turns into a garbage heap. The guy was looking for information, not yours Geoff or Dino's or mine, but what does everyone think. Geoff you have to go into your rating system and like dino says Diamond should be paying you not your clients. Give the guy what he wants, your experience. By the way Meyers owns Diamond, and they are owned in turn by another company and the company including Diamond are publicly traded on the stock market. Just like Fisher, and Western they are both owned by Douglas Dynamics which is owned bt ARMCO. Also publicly traded. If you think that for a minute that both these companies hire two sets of engineers for each of their plow divisions your way WRONG. The differences in the Fisher/Western plows and the Diamond/Meyers plows are done for a purpose to get around monopoly and anti trust. <br>Dino no angry Italian here just fustration. Why does there have to be so many experts? You like your edges and have had good success. Geoff on the other had has been plowing and none of his blades are even worn or need turning. I can't see where this answers the fundamental question, has anyone got any data or time in on a curtis plow? I'm sorry for the guy who put the question into this formum, because he really hasn't got an answer yet I don't believe. I got a nice video from Curtis. Its their selling item, but at least they sent me one. I won't judge them or rate them but thy sell a lot of them and they are still in business and expanding. By the way they are private owned by father and 2 sons. and I don't work for them either. Geoff don't knock the URETHANE edges and don't mix them up with the plastic edges that many of the manufactuers put on to cut costs. Stick with your metal edges.<p><br>vince

15. GeoffD

Vince<p>I do know Diamond has it's own group of engineers, or one or two engineers. Fisher has a staff of engineers too, i see adds for them in the paper all the time up in maine ( fisher is always looking for engineers. Ever read about frink? They have no formal 2 formal engineers and 1 guy that has 20 years in snow. I know fisher has there own engineering department, i don't know about western. Anyways i knew meyer, diamond and sweneson were all owned by another company, but haven't thought much about buying stock. I am not trying to get in a battle about if fisher and western have their own groups of engieers. Only i see the job adds in the paper for fisher engineers, so i am just repearting what i saw. I live in maine so i have a have idea on two maine based companies. Just like you have the inside edge on curtis.<p>I wasn't knocking dino's edges, i just couldn't spell the name ( and i wrote that in the post, also read my post regarding the person with the Vplow, who needs a new edge, what brand did i tell him to buy? the one Dino uses, i know its a good product). Anyways the reason i haven't flipped my edges is i buy them in bulk from an equipment dealer. They are 3/4&quot; instead of 1/2&quot; and there is about 2 3/4 if not 3&quot; of steel to wear down on the bottom side, buy the way i did flip all of them today. <p>Sorry about how i rated the plows, but i just called them as i saw it. Like you said the point of this forum is to share info, and if ya really think i didn't share my info correctly i am sorry.<p>Geoff<p><br>

16. Vince Panaroni

Vince Panaroni Member

Geoff,<p>Good enough! Think snow so all of us can retire, me for the second time.<p><br>vince

17. Mike Plow

Mike Plow Junior Member

To Geoff, Plowking, and Vince: I asked for input about Curtis Snow Plows because I'm a Curtis dealer. I wanted to hear from other Curtis users about the product. I read all your replies and (its not a garbage heap). I've been plowing since I was 16 years old with my first jeep. I've been selling and fixing plows for 20+ years. I'm a subdealer for Fisher plows and a dealer for Curtis snow plows. I own an auto and truck repair shop. A good part of my business is light trucks and four wheel drive vehicles. Sorry to say, Meyer plows are great for me because they help our plow repair and parts business. The ST series plow is no good for the commercial plower. Moboard height is too low. Can't widrow the snow. Does not have structural strength. Meyers C series plow (husky series) are better and are OK. Western is a better full tripping plow. Personally I like a trip edge plow for stacking snow and for heavy wet snow that we get in our area. The Diamond plow, the blade is very strong, probably the strongest out there. The attitude of the cutting edge is too forward and does not scrape well. But for heavy duty plowing especially on gravel and dirt, it works well with double pivot system. I do not like what Meyer did with the product. I beleive Meyer bought them to get business in NEw England. From what I've seen Fisher is the number one plow in Northern New England. Western is very popular in the midatlantic and the midwest. All plows have problems no matter how much engineering goes into the plow, the real world is the best test. Snow conditions are all different. Driving habits of operators are all different. You guys seem like pros. A lot of guys out there aren't. They abuse their trucks and equipment. I like the Curtis plow because all the structural parts of the blade seem to avoid the problems of Meyer and Western. It's designed to give you softness of the full trip and stiffness of a trip edge plow. I always liked Fisher, but because of my location I cannot be a distributor. When the Curtis plow first came out I always watched it and liked it and became involved with the Curtis's. Nice people. They listen. They are working very hard to break into the market. <br>P.S. Plow with two Fishers and one Curtis and Curtis works really well. Some small minor problems. We are working them out.<br>Plowking: The V plows are great but they are not for everyone. Many guys use them in scoop mode and cook transmissions. They try to contain too much snow and when it's heavy and wet they think they have a payloader.<br>Geoff: You are in the heart of Fisher country. Why do you like Diamond?<br>That's it for now. Wait to see your replies.<br>

18. GeoffD

Diamond is also built in maine, about 30 or 40 mins away from fisher. I like diamond's mounting system, thats why i went from fisher to diamond in 95. I have had trouble with the minute-mount and don't belive i should have to provide a tar pad to put the plow on. The Diamond's mounting sytem is number one in my book.<p>Also Diamond is a lot stronger than fisher. If Diamond wasn't tought i wouldn't keep buying them, i would go back to Fisher.<p>Geoff<br>

19. Vince Panaroni

Vince Panaroni Member

Geoff,<br>I'm not positive, but for my own information is the Diamond factory you are talking about the one in Damarscotta (spelling is wrong)? If so you deal with Ken Fowler and Larry Mahagan. That location is not a factory. I do believe that Meyers is building the plows in either Ohio or Indiana.<p>Mike, I think your right on in your ideas about what Mark and Fred are doing. These are hard working guys who want to build the best and spare no expense in trying. I know because my company has several long term projects with them that we are working on. I do think that the jury hasn't been out long enough but their staying power is pretty good and as you know they work like hell in trying to get market share.<p>In my business I deal with each and every sand and salt box manufacturer and snowplow manufacturer all over the world. Fortunately we here in the good old USA do make the best.<p>There as some new and exciting developments that my company is working on that over the next couple of years will reduce the stress and strain on the trucks and hopefully reduce the necessity of guys like plow king, geoff and others from spending all their profits from hard work for new trucks and enjoy some of the benifits of their hard work. I'm a little like you Mike, we are manufactures and get as much data off these sites that assist us in research and development to improve the industry, I know we did a good job with cutting edges if not from better cleaning, quietness etc we at least stopped a lot of black and blue shoulders marks from the seat belts.<p>Lets keep pouring data into these sites so all of us can gain from it. Nice remarks Mike<p><br>vince<br>

20. plowking35

from SE CT

If a guy cooks his tranny that is his fault not the plows fault.<br>The whole point of a v plow is the scoop position. I use that position I say 80% of the time. It provides for some interesting cutting edge wear.<br>Common sense says to take smaller bites if the snow is heavy so as to not cook the tranny.<br>No v plows arent for everyone. Wide open plowing in large areas isnt what it is suited for, but for anyone else the cost of the v plow is minor when looking at new units. And even if you need it on only one of the lots you may plow then it will pay for itself.<br>The President of SIMA pays 5$ per hour more to subs with v plows, why? Because the do more in less time, BOTTOM LINE<br>And if you were a curtis dealer that should have been mentioned, so that we all knew what you were looking for. <br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org