1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

curtis snowplow

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by stanza, Oct 4, 2003.

1. stanza

stanza Member
    from cny

has anyone heard of a curtis plow? If so, are they any good?
    Im looking to get a plow for my 03 gmc 2500hd and I was looking at the curtis. I was also looking at the snoway predator.
    I'll be doing mostly driveways, but some of them are big driveways.
    any feedback woul be appreciated.
    thanks, steve
  2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I think that your truck can handle more heavier duty plow than Curtis or Sno-Way. Nothing really wrong with them, some actually use them commercially, but I feel that there are some better plow manufacturers that you could choose from.

Depending on your truck setup, whether it is a gas or diesel (because of weight issue on front end), cab size, box size, etc. - we will need to know more before we can help you with choosing plow size for your truck. For me, I prefer Fisher. But I know that Western and Boss are good too. I would not count out Blizzard too.

What brands do your local plow dealers sells?

By the way, I have '02 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L gas with 8' Fisher HD plow. Excellent truck/plow combo setup! :D

Lastly but not least, welcome to Plowsite! :waving:
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2003
  3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Hey Steve, I was wondering when you were going to mention publically that you got the new Fisher plow for your truck. This is the first I have seen you mention it. You should put up the pictures in the picture forum, Im sure everyone would love to see them. Mike :drinkup:
  4. wxmn6

Mike, funny thing you asked that! Just tonight, I updated my avatar with pic of my Chevy/Fisher and also updated my signature line. I did not see your post until after I did the update. LOL. Boy, that got to be scary thought. HAHA. :D

I only have a couple pics of my truck/plow, and I am going to wait until I get my project done. It won't be done anytime soon since I am so busy right now, and the rain is holding me back. I will be even more busy when the leaves start to fall down. But hopefully I can get my project done before we get the first snowfall of season. And then I will post some pics. :)

Hope that would be ok with you, Mike? :D :drinkup:
  5. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I'll take exception to that. I have a 2000 F250SD X-Cab Short Box that runs a 7½ Curtis. Small for the truck but I do only residential. The Curtis is easily as sturdy as the Western straight blade I ran for 10+ years. And to quote some specs from the websites..

8Ft fisher HD 717 lbs,
    8Ft Curtis --> 765 lbs.

I'd call that heavy duty. I have plowed with mine 3 years now, (OK, one of those years, there was almost no snow) but I have had 0 problems. Like the Blizzard, all the weight of the hydro's etc are right on the A frame. The thing wears and scrape excellent and using the Hitch and Run system, I can attach / drop the whole unit in less than 30 seconds. The trucjk side mount is tight up under the bumper so there is nothing hanging low when the unit is not on the truck.

If you have any questions or want some pics... let me know.
  6. stanza

stanza Member
    from cny

thanks .

Thanks for the tips, the truck is a gas engine with a xcab and a 6' bed. The dealers up here have western, snoway, curtis and meyers. I've yet to see a fisher dealer. Im sure if I look I'll find one. thanks again
  7. myo

myo Senior Member

I have seen curtis plows on quite a few trucks in my area, but I too am a Fisher guy. I have an 8' X blade on my 03' GMC 2500HD and love it. Yet to do any major plowing with it but hopefully that will change soon.

Go with the best dealer and price you can find in your area and good luck!

Welcome to Plowsite:waving:

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

look for the dealer that closest to you

when you break
    if have to drive 2 hours for repairs
    its not worth it
    i run meyers my dealer is 20 minutes from my house

looked at a snowway only problem the dealer was an hour a way
    couldnt risk being stranded

9. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

All the plow dealers in your area carry decent plows. Go for dealer support and pricing. western, snoway, curtis and meyer snowplows are all proven to be very relieable and strong enough for just about any plowing. Go for a 8ft blade size. If you get the Curtis take some pics and post them.:)
  10. wxmn6

Speak only from an experienced plowers that use these products other than Meyer.....:rolleyes:

Stephen pumpkin:
  11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

curtis plows

i think curtis is the new plow with easy mount the video tape is great easy on easy off i think the blizzard plow looks easy i think there both good plowspumpkin: