1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Curtis snow plows?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Brett K, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Brett K

Brett K Member

I am looking at replacing the old plow set-up (76 Chevy stepside w/Western 7.5" plow) to something I can drive everyday that I can also plow with. I am looking at a 98 GMC ext.cab 1/2 ton Z71. Heavy duty extended cabs are out of my price range. I plan on adding Timbrens. I have a Curtis dealer near me and I am friends with the owners fiance, so I might get a good price.

Is this a decent set-up? I don't hear much about Curtis. My issue is the weight. 690lbs for a Curtis 7.5" Sno-Pro 300 seems a little heavy. Will the half-ton handle it well?
  2. Stan MI

Stan MI Member

I just got one for my 88 Chevy 1/2 ton the tail end of last season. Didn't really do any plowing with it since the snow had melted. I paid $2800 for mine installed, it was NOS.

I'll be interested in the replies you get. Good luck with the plow if you get it.
  3. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

Brett -- I use a 7 1/2' Curtis on my 02 Chevy Silverado 1500 regular cab long bed. To handle the weight I cranked the torsion bars up three turns, added Timbrens fore and aft, and run 500# of ballast in the rear.

That arrangement did well for me last winter, though I dismounted the plow when it was not actually in use. In fact, that's why I bought the Curtis -- after practicing with several brands I found that one the easiest to put on and take off. Oh, and I just do my driveways around the house and barn, plus half a mile of dirt road.