1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Curtis Sno-Pro 2000 Make my own control

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by rob.h.smith, Jan 22, 2012.

1. rob.h.smith

rob.h.smith Junior Member
    from Kennedy

I recently bought a 2004 Silverado 2500 that came with a Curtis 2000 plow and contractors cap for 6400 bucks (comments on the price?)
    However, the plow was taken out of the truck because the guy was gonna sell it separate. So it was easy to get the wiring back together, however, he couldn't find the controller for it.
    I tried wiring up my old Western Joystick to it but for some reason when I angle left, it goes up/left. Since I couldn't seem to figure out what's different about the controller, I decided to make my own. I don't see why people spend over 100 dollars for a basic (old meyer type) plow controller switch. The wiring seems simple if I just get 2 on-off-on switches. Does anyone know something I don't about these switches? Just seems too easy to spend that much money. Thanks

2. amocerino

amocerino Senior Member
    from 01606

The angle switch always goes back to center and the lift switch locks in the down and will not lock in lift.The switchs have jumps to put power to the solenoid and in float to only open the valve and not to turn on the motor.

3. rob.h.smith

from Kennedy

I agree it would be a pain if I can't find a switch that returns to center. However, as far as the lock in lift I disagree. Because I don't have a switch, I had to touch the wires together to get the plow lifted to move into my garage simply by touching my power wire to the solenoid wire to activate the motor then touched the lift wire (red) to it. When the plow was lifted I disconnected the wires and it stayed up so I could move it. I'll have to split my power into two wires. One for left/right one for up/down also split my solenoid wire into 3, one for each movement except float.

4. amocerino

amocerino Senior Member
    from 01606

You want the switch to lock in down or float so it can will follow the ground and you do not want it to lock in lift so the motor is on all the time.

5. rob.h.smith

from Kennedy

Ah I get what you're saying. So if I got a switch that doesn't return to center on its own (yes pain) I could lock it in down. But what I mean about locking up is, when I cut power to the lift, it did lock. So in theory, as long as the switch doesn't stay in the up position, it will cut Power completely to the lift circuit which would lock it and the motor will not run while in lifted position.

6. jrjr2u

jrjr2u Senior Member

You are correct. There is a solenoid/valve to lift the plow. Energize it and it goes up. De energize it and it stays put. There is also a solenoid/valve to lower. energize it and it will lower/float. De energize it and it stays put (wont float). Your switch needs to return to center from lift but be able to stay in the down position if you choose so it will float.

7. Stan MI

Stan MI Member

I've got one that I got on ebay. It's for the 2000 and my plow is a 3000.
    Can't guarantee it works because I never could test it. (Didn't read the listing close enough).

Your welcome to it if you want it. It's been collecting dust in the barn for quite a while.

Just send me a PM with you address if you want it.

8. rob.h.smith

from Kennedy

That's great yes for sure thank you. Can you send me An email? For some reason I can't PM you. Thanks
    Rob.h.smith83@gmail.com

9. rob.h.smith

from Kennedy

Ok,
    so I successfully built a switch for this plow. I bought two, double throw, double pole switches and wired them. To make it permanent I'll try to make an enclosure for it, but I first wanted to try it out. Works without any problems, of course, like some of you said, it won't go into float mode on it's own, so I do have to hold the switch down on uneven terrain. I spoke with a local plow shop about my plans, they mentioned that I might have a problem with feedback if I don't install diodes (allows electricity only one direction). That will be the last piece of finalize the switch. Ha! that's my middle finger to the companies charging 300 dollars for a controller. Thanks for your input fellas