1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Curtis problem, need help ASAP please.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by PremierLand, Dec 30, 2005.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I hooked up my plow today, it worked fine when I was out doing errands. Anyway long story short I came back home, then went back to my truck to go out for the night, and it wouldnt raise. usually its just the connector is funny so I jiggled it like usuall and still nothing. So I said, okay Ill press the Jack Extract button and take the plow off and see if the ground wire is on securley, and well, the jack wont extract, I jiggled the ground wire and it then extracted 1/2" and thats it.

I dont know what the problem is, and I can hear the relay clicking like normal....

can anyone pleaseeeee help me, its sopossed to snow tonight after midnight, and even though im already bumbed out because its my last day of vaction and I wanted to go out, now im stuck fixing this.

Thanks guys.
  2. Ian

Ian Member

Still won't raise?

Will it move left and right? If yes, I would stick with the wiring. Look at every connection from the control to the motor but mainly at the main truck/plow connection. It is probably there as it seems like it has been an issue in the past.

I haven't seen a curtis connection but I would look at the pins closely. The smaller male pins that go into the receptacle side have a tendency to collapse in on themselves. What I mean is that each individual pin is hollow and usually has an open end when you look in at them. They can close together and when plugged in with the other half, not make solid continuity with its corresponding female half. That is why when you adjust the connection or squeeze it together it may make it work. You might be able to use a scribe or any small pointed tool to open up the male pin SLIGHTLY.

If it does move left and right but not up, it maybe possible to switch relays around and put a known working one from the right/left system into the up/down position. I don't know if that can be done on a curtis but I think it can on a poly boss that I use occasionally.

I am not to far from you if it gets worse and the snow gets deep.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  3. PremierLand

from detroit

After mounting the ground at a different location and messing with the connector's it ended up working. I cant belive curtis got away with how they do their connections, its the worse possible way.

Thanks very much Ian.
  4. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

I'm in Southgate Mi, How much snow did you get, It's still snowing here, Waiting to go out though. I'm hoping for about 4"
  5. PremierLand

from detroit

ha we got like 1/4 of an inch
  6. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Same here, Piece of Crap weatherman
  7. makplow

makplow Senior Member

How long have you had your curtis? I purchased mine in early November. I was told by the sales manager that they improved the connection problem. I know they moved the connectors up higher, but I wonder if they improved on the connectors also????