1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Curtis Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tlcgrounds, Nov 25, 2001.

1. tlcgrounds

tlcgrounds Junior Member

Amy of you guys have one or heard of one. I just got one last week and am having problems with the hydrolics ans silenoids. Any advice much appreciated.
  2. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Curtis Snow Removal is not affiliated with Curtis Plows!
  3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Yes we have heard of them, but no one has complained of any issues with them. I hear they have a great tech line, so give them a call in the am, and I am sure they will help you out.
  4. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I have one, the only issue I have had is that the ground is through the plow frame. There is a bolt on the back side of the hydraulic power back that grounds the unit. If that bolt is loose, the plow acts up, if it works at all. The behavior was very similar to when I had solenoid troubles with my old Western. Also, I have the installtions / owners manual that has the wiring diagrams etc. You probably have that already, but if you need a copy let me know.

5. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Didn't LESCO service centers used to sell Curtis plows and salt spreaders a few years back ???
  6. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

With regard to Rob's post about ground problems, I remember reading in a troubleshooting guide to automotive wiring: "When electrical stuff acts wierd, look for bad grounds"

Good thing about that is, adding a ground cable is simple to do. If you want to be able to unhook the ground cable without unbolting, install the quick-disconnect (twist to lock) fittings used on welding cable.
  7. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Yeah, Lesco used to sell them.

I recall seeing them as recent as last season.

Haven't seen any this fall, but I haven't been in too often, either. (Gotta take those fall vacations!)
  8. MGardner

MGardner Senior Member

The solenoid valve switch was actually bad on the one I bought, for directional.I bought it at a Lesco dealer. They don`t handle them now, but theres two places close to me that are dealers. Verify the solenoid valve coils are getting juice 1st. They told me to take em out and blow em out ,I did and when they sent me the long awaited switch----bingo.That whole assembly is easy to take out, messy but you dont have to be a contortionist .Just something you may consider. After that I`ve had no problems with the unit ,I like it because it`s a heavy duty plow.Put the 8" rubber belt across the top and secure it with flat steel and fasteners .I either used 5\16 or 1\4" bolts, then drilled every 8 or 10",painted the strip with Allis Chalmer orange so it looked factory. Tommorrow a.m. I`m having pro wings put on it.Makes it go 10'wide for straight pushes.
  9. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

In Syracuse NY there are 2 dealers. I have seen a couple
    straight blade setups around. My bud has a 8 ft straight
    mounted on a late model Dodge. He sez no problems
    and bought it used CHEAP !
    The dealers advertise aggressively (spl)..I priced one
    before I bought my western.......Curtis wanted $3200
    same price as Fisher ! Western only $2900........