1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Curtis Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chris-R, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Hi fellow forum members:

Can anyone make comment on Curtis snowplows. They're a small Worcester, Massachusetts company. I just bought a GMC Sierra 2500 and was thinking of a Fisher but I hear a Curtis is much less expensive and not that much different. BTW-I plow a bunch of driveways and one small parking lot so I am not a heavy duty guy. My route is only 2 hours long in the average storm. Thanks for the help.

2. dubeb31

dubeb31 Member

i know a lot of guys that have them and like them, just depends on which one your going to get, the full trip or the trip edge...and the time it take to put it on and take if off is amazing....the dealer is about 20 minutes from my house on ballard street off of Rt.146 in Worcester...i know were thinking of putting one on out 1994 suburban...and it will definately make a lot of payup !!!!

3. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

4. duramaxed

duramaxed Junior Member

:drinkup: great plow, on or off in seconds

5. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

Our 2004 Durango is getting a 7.5 foot curtis 3000 in a week. Will know more info after a couple snows. We'll see!

6. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Posta pic when its done I want to see this.

Jason

7. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

Everybody probably will tell you that what THEY have is the best. I've never plowed with a Curtis but I have with a Fisher, for over 30 years. Only broke a couple of times, just the solonoid, alway's carry a spare. I'd think you'd be concerned about how close a couple of dealer's are to you and if they is open during a event. Also how extensive their inventory of spare parts are.

Roy

8. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. I've been getting conflicting stories on Curtis. Some say they're good and some say they're not so good. As my last plow was a Fisher and I never had a problem with it, I'll probably go with another one. Fastcar makes a good point. The closest Curtis dealer is 30 miles away but the closest Fisher dealer is one town over from me and he's open all the time. If I had a problem, I rather take a short drive to get a part than go 30 miles in a snowstorm. Again, I want to thank everyone for their input and help.

9. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I did the same thing as you. Had a Fisher and stayed with what I know. However about the Curtis. I have a source that said they are having trouble wearing pins out on the trip edge models and have not come up with a solution to correct it yet. Also some of the blades are made overseas with a lesser quality steel and welds. If you get one get a full trip model and request it is made in the USA.

10. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Didja look at a "midweight" Western ultramount???? Their (Western's) number 1 advantage is that they go on and come off faster than ANYBODY else's plow. And they're plenty strong for the usage that you list.

Their ultramount system is similar to the Curtis mount ... And if it's your thing, the poly blade isn't a bad idea either.

BTW Fisher and Western are the same company. And Fisher's not a bad plow but the ultramount is still faster and easier on and off...