1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Curtis plow won't fully raise

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jennings80116, Jun 3, 2009.

1. jennings80116

jennings80116 Junior Member

I've got a Curtis quick attach and during the last snowstorm I kept getting stuck which never happened before. I checked things out a discovered my problem was the plow was only raising up about half the normal height. Go figure I would get stuck off road in 3' of snow with the plow lowered!

I've hosed off the plow and check every attachment point, clearances, etc. and can find nothing binding or preventing lift.

Any ideas?

'97 F250 PowerStroke w/ Curtis plow
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Low on Fluid? chain mis-adjusted?
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  3. jennings80116

jennings80116 Junior Member

thanks Basher.

I checked the fluid and couldn't see any. I filled it to the top and it took almost a whole quart.

It still wouldn't raise all the way. I only had about 5 inches between the ground and the blade.

I measured the exposed lifting cylinder. When the plow was down it had 7.5" exposed, when up 5.5" inches. I jacked up the plow and adjusted the chain. It now goes up all the way. When down the exposed cylinder is now about 2". Perhaps I bounced around enough for the chain to move.

Question: now I have some fluid coming out of the vented cap. My assumption is that I overfilled it and it will stop at some point. Does that sound right to you?

thanks agian - John