1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

curtis plow renovation

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by bsteckel, Oct 25, 2007.

1. bsteckel

bsteckel Junior Member

i am in the process of tearing down my plow for a complete sandblasting and powder coating. i cannot believe how bad this thing rusted ...makes me think i should have bought something else ... almost looks like the orignial powdercoating was applied over rust!!!

anyway ... how hard is it to remove the pump etc.? i want to get all of that out so i can thoroughly get all the rust out and make it nice. i had the lid off quickly today, but did not see how the guts come apart ..

do they all come out as an assembly?

thanks in advance for the help.

2. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

how old is it? Mine is 3 years and loks worse than my fisher I had after 8 seasons. Like you said looks like there was no prep before the original finish. Great plow other wise. I can only imagine what mine would look like if it was not kept indoors.

3. EEI TRUCK EQUIP

EEI TRUCK EQUIP Junior Member

Its Pretty Much A Pain In The A** Ther Is 3 9/16 Bolts One On The Back And 2 On The Bottom That Will Loosen Everything Up The Hardest Part Is Getting The Jack Cylinder Out Which Is Next To Impossble

4. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

I'm in the middle of rebuilding a Curtis Moldboard, just got it back from the sandblaster, next replace four stiffners and base angle.

Don't waste your money on powder coating, after sand blasting have it primed with a self etch primer and then spray it with Nason 2k Urethane it will last longer and much easier to sand blast in the future, jmpo

5. bsteckel

bsteckel Junior Member

thanks for the replies .. my plow is about 5 yrs old i guess. .. not stored inside.

i have never seen rust like this .. they would have been better letting it bare metal .. the powdercoat traps the salt, etc and it rusts underneath.

hopefully they changed their process.

i just had the blade powdercoated .. i am sanding the frame myself for a coat of rustoleum primer and paint ..

i was able to get the pump out .. but gave up on getting the jack assembly out .. what a pain.

Brad

6. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I know this is a very old thread but going to reply anyway... Maybe I got a "gem" but I have a 2005 Sno Pro 3000 that has been stored outside all of its life. Doesn't have one bit of rust at all. It's been powerwashed after every use. Not sure if that helped or not, but sure seems like it! :salute:

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I got mine in 05 no rust on it course its treated every year and its coverd loosely coated with lithium grease

8. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

mine came with my truck and it's rusty! i have been wire brushing it and repainting it with rustoleum.

9. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Here the Curtis that was just sand blasted and re-painted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

looks nice, i finished painting mine as well. it's not that pretty. bet it's better then it was

11. cjcocn

cjcocn Member

I bought a Curtis from Jay (Nascar24) last year and it had received similar treatment. The plow that I received looked new and had everything that I needed to get set up.

He does excellent work and if you ever find yourself refurbing another - he's an excellent resource.

12. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

i can do the work, i have all the equiptment. i can do the same quality.

between, my regular job. also i have a 20' trailer i mostly haul cars. my farther owns a wrecker business. i get alot of business from him. getting my sander and plow both ready. spending time with the wife and her family live 2 hours away. i'm usually at the inlaws weekends.

i just don't have the time for really good quality any more. unless some one is paying me for it.

13. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Thanks for the kind words, I try hard to make sure thatwho ever gets one of my refirbs that it is complete and provides good service,

Jay