1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Curtis plow electrical short

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by barrynj, Jan 27, 2009.

1. barrynj

barrynj Junior Member
    from north

Hello All,

New to the forum.. Great info. I have an older curtis and am not sure what model it is. It has the hideaway hydraulics on the cover. It is on an 1997 f250 I bought used a couple of years ago. I went to hook the plow up today and it would no go up/left/right. Checked fluid and it was fine. Shut off the truck, came back out 1/2 hr later and it went up, but the head lights would not work. Put the plow down and lights went on.. Pulled in barn to investigate further and disconnected the hydraulic connection to the up/down cylinder and it sparked. So I clearly have a short somewhere. How and where would be the best places to start looking. I did a visual inspection and all the wires seemed fine. Snow coming and I need some help.. Thanks..

What I have done since having the plow:

About a year ago installed a large ground cable from the neg battery terminal to the side of the pump where the other grounds are located to keep the lights from going off pushing a big pile.

The hydraulic reservoir cap broke off. Pulled off the reservoir and fitted a 1/2 inch threaded pvc coupler wrapped in tephlon tape and then epozied the entire thing. Then screwed on pvc cap.. Cleand the reservoir completely and cleaned the filter screen.

2. eshskis

eshskis Senior Member
    from 4

Return your wireing to where it is soposed to be, still have the issue take the hideaway cover off...... start at the primary power wire (red) follow it all the way back to the truck carefully looking for a bear wire that is chargeing your plow frame. most likely it is between the plow and truck

3. Stan MI

Stan MI Member

barrynj

I had a frayed wire that was touching the frame and causing a fuse to blow. It was the red wire. I have the older (one large wire bundle) connection. The wire bundle comes out of the box and goes up the side of the light tower. Where it turned to head towards the truck it rubbed a little. Over the course of a couple of years it had rubbed enough to expose a little bit of bare wire. Hope this helps !!

Keep us posted :)

4. barrynj

barrynj Junior Member
    from north

Thanks for all the help everyone. The main power wire to the motor had worn down from rubbing against the frame right where it comes out from the plastic cover on the back side. Apparentl the previos owner had tapped it up, but I think it finally gave way. I Tapped the heck out of it then slid a piece of garden hose around it. Did the trick!!

5. eshskis

eshskis Senior Member
    from 4

Good to hear !