1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Curtis Plow Electrical Problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by cleveland, Mar 2, 2008.

1. cleveland

cleveland Junior Member
    from NH

I'm new to the site, but have been viewing for a while. Great resource of info.

Now to the problem. I've have a Curtis plow on a 1996 Chevy 1500 and
    it's been working well for 3 years. Last week I started hearing a grinding noise
    when ever the Joy Stick was moved to raise or angle the plow, with the engine running.
    After further investigation, It appears that the Joy Stick for the plow is now engaging the starter on truck. The plow no longer raises of angles. If I disconnect the plow plug and
    hit the Joy Stick the starter does not engage. I've known that the alternator is under
    powered for some time and finally ordered a new 200 amp high output, but I don't know
    if that contributed to this problem. Anyone ever hear of this type of problem?

Thanks, Chip

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

hmmmmmmmmm!

sounds like somebody has your plow wired up backward's or the harness is shorting out on the ing start wire

3. cleveland

cleveland Junior Member
    from NH

It does have the symptoms of wires being crossed, but it's worked fine for 3 years.

4. cleveland

cleveland Junior Member
    from NH

Any chance this could be a poor ground somewhere?

5. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Salt can be conductive. Take the truck to the carwash and clean the engine compartment. Remove and inspect all the fuse areas and clean as necessary. My hunch is the you have power jumping accross the cicut from the salt. Happens alot in the trailer wiring harnecess on the back of trucks too. Hit the brakes and the running lights come on, or sinarios like this.

If this doesn't work retrace the wiring from the plow to the battery. looking for the small wire which activates the plow pump motor at the solioid. This will be a good start.

Remember when wiring to use los of dioletric grease and sodder / shrink tube all fresh custom wiring.

DAFF

6. cleveland

cleveland Junior Member
    from NH

Thanks very much. I will check those areas. I currently have the plow in a heated garage melting off the ice, so I can check thoroughly.

7. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

You might want to try wiggling the wiring harness. I had some problems with wires breaking in there.

8. cleveland

cleveland Junior Member
    from NH

Well, it appears to be working now. I cleaned up the ground cable on the plow frame
    and spread the ground pin in the main plug, so it makes a tighter connection. Still
    not sure why a bad ground makes the engages the the starter....but if it works, don't fix it.

9. cleveland

cleveland Junior Member
    from NH

Well, I just installed a new 200 amp alternator along with two new batteries, and
    now the batteries go dead after 3-4 days of sitting. It's happened twice. Is it
    possible for an alternator to have a short that would cause a drain on the batteries
    when sitting?

Thanks, Chip