1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Curtis Grief

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by rockdog, Nov 10, 2008.

1. rockdog

rockdog Junior Member
    from Utah

I have a 8' snow pro. I bought it last spring off a guy that plows for a living. When I bought it, he said it had a wiring problem. He had replaced the pump motor and that didn't solve the problem. He just wanted to sell it and buy a new one next year. So I got it thinking I could chase the electrical gremlins. Well, it's been an educational experience to say the least.
    So far I've called the factory tec's. They didn't have a clue. Since there are no Curtis dealers in Utah, they said to take it to a John Deere dealer? Too busy smokin crack I guess to venture a guess.
    So I called a dealer in Colorado. Super nice guy (Jim). I ordered a new valve block with all new valves. Put it on. Solved some of the issues. But the plow lifts slowly. I checked the pressure. 2500 lb's So I tore off the lift cylinder and took it to a very good hydraulic shop. They said there is nothing wrong with it,and with 2500 lb's it should pic up fast. It would take several try's with the touch pad controller to get it in the full up position
    So I built my own controller with momentary toggle switches using the wiring diagram in my owners manual. The plow will lift all the way up now without timing out on the controller, but still lifts agonizingly slow. So I'm out of ideas. Pump motor? Maybe he lied to me about that. I took it apart, it looks new inside.
    Anything I might have overlooked?

2. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

Have you flushed the tank and replaced the fluid?

Curtis' are notorius for having the fluid pick up screen getting all gunked up restricting the flow of fluid. I have one that was not lowering the power leg and wasn't angling to the right all that fast. Previous owner said he replaced the right solenoid valve, which he did, I drained and flushed the tank and cylinders with Meyer Flushing fluid, refilled with SAM blue plow fluid, I also cleaned every connection on the main harness and the ground . The plow works just fine now, power leg, lift and angles in both directions.

It cost me $8 for the flush , $12 for new fluid,and some time, small investment, might be worth your while to try what I did, it may work for you.

Jay

3. rockdog

rockdog Junior Member
    from Utah

I've taken the entire thing apart. Tank completely off, cleaned it out. cleaned the screen at that time. New fluid, all new valves, solenoid magnets and manifold. Cleaned the main harness plug outside where the plow plugs to the truck. How do you use the flushing fluid? Fill the tank then run the plow to work it through the system? Maybe I'll give that a try. It sure as hell would be a lot cheaper than the other things I've tried.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

hmm i only used curtis fluid did you call them in mass

5. rockdog

rockdog Junior Member
    from Utah

Nascar, I'll try flushing it and refilling it.

6. cvalcik

cvalcik Junior Member

Had a problem with slow lifting and it was a main seal on a valve. Picked on up at NAPA for the Meyers and it worked perfectly.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  7. rockdog

rockdog Junior Member
    from Utah

All the valves are new.
    Tried the flush and refill with Meyer oil. No difference. I think I'll pour gas over the thing and throw a match at it.:mad:

8. rockdog

rockdog Junior Member
    from Utah

Finally figured out what was wrong! Big thanks to Jim @ Vital Parts:salute: He helped me brainstorm the problem rather than selling me unneeded parts. The previous owner had changed the wiring around on the jack lift switch. The lift fluid was bypassing in the manifold when trying to lift. The thing works great now.:redbounce