1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Curtis Crap

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnsrusinc., Mar 25, 2005.

1. lawnsrusinc.

lawnsrusinc. Senior Member

Well i want to make the public informed of this crap. 3 yr old curtis rusted from the inside out and the whole ribing fell OFF. So i cant find a dealer (what else is new). So i call corporate and they tell me to order a new blade from my dealer oh yea where? Greenbay i live in wisconsin. they say well pay to have it shipped or drive. Now i am trying to keep my cool. If iam driving anywhere i am driving to corporate to drop the plow in front of the door to make a point LOL. What a joke.

Jason
    One upset customer :yow!: :gunsfiring:

2. Elsewhere

Elsewhere Junior Member

I think you would have to drive it to Worcester, Mass.

3. lawnsrusinc.

To make a point it might be worth it lol. I just cant see how they will ever be a leader in plows one bit. They are a jack of all trades master of nothin cabs, blowers, plows, etc... i need some electrical done in my home maybe i should call em.

Jason
    one unhappy customer!

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Did the place you bought it from go out of business?

5. lawnsrusinc.

No but they decided to stop carring it becasue of factory issues etc...

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

we have 3 curtis plows. all are 9 footers and all have been pretty reliable. no big issues. two are within a year and half old and the other is 4 years old. cant say we are having any of the problems you are having.

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

have you had any problems mech with them ?

8. lawnsrusinc.

Iam not saying the mechanics of it. I just need a new mold board but have to drive 200 miles to get one. With the curtis its a electrical problem so if something isn't working right check the electrical. We are actually changing over to blizzard plows i have (1) 810 and i love the hitch system etc....

:waving: CURTIS (

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I welded on all new ribs on my Meyer plow this year (husky). They rust from the inside out, because the outside is painted and no one, factory included thinks about painting the inside. But, when you weld it on the paint gets burned off and that's where rust starts and spreads! But 3 years old this should not be an issue,my plow is 16 years old and plows every snow fall.
    Rode hard and put away wet and salty!

10. friedlerpest

friedlerpest Junior Member

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and doing more pm on my Curtis plow than I think is necessary due to this...

The dealer that I bought my Curtis from got sued by a customer who thought he should be able to back drag with a Curtis v-plow. Not possible. Curtis did not back the dealer. It was their product, performed as advertised, but didn't stand behind their product. Bottom Line - The dealer does not sell Curtis anymore and won't touch any that they sold! The other Curtis dealer in the area won't touch them either because they were installed by the "bad" dealer...(do ya think Curtis is behind that?).

Anything major that goes wrong with it is gonna be a nightmare.

11. lawnsrusinc.

Any more comments anyone as i will be mailing this to curtis so then can see what the consumer thinks. After reading a post like this why would you think of buying one.

Jason

12. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

The only reason I buy them is because I have had good experiences with them. I first got mine when I bought the F-150 and the Ford dealer got me a nice deal with the Curtis dealer. It looked like a nice plow so I got it. The 7.5 has been great, it still looks new after I touched up a few scratches and chips. I have never had a problem with it and I like the mounting system alot. I bought the 7' at the beginning of this season because it was by far the strongest plow in its class. I have gone to the dealer I bought it from for everything and he has been great with me. Curtis is gaining alot of popularity around here. Also the factory is only 35 Miles from my house.

Either way,
    Jason,
    I would be very upset if I was you and probley would not continue to use that brand of plow or give their dealers any business. In addition to some plow problems, more then a few people have posted in this thread about dealer issues. Particularly in the midwest. My guess is that Curtis is not very good in taking care of their distributers and tries to place everything on them so the dealer needs to turn around and place the burdon on the customer. It seems like dealers "leave" on bad terms and the customers are left out in the cold (literally) and Curtis does not care. Thats my guess, if its true then its a very bad situation and bad on the part of the manufacturer, I would not hesitate to contact curtis about this problem. It seems like a regional problem as well, maybe not just your area.
    Good Luck, and let us know what happens :waving: