1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Curtis 7' Poly, Only 1 complaint

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hbrady, Dec 7, 2003.

1. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

Well, after plowing 20" of blowing drifting snow from our 1700' dirt road I only have one complaint and a few comments.

The complaint..

The light weight poly plow is nice for my Toyota but the lack on weight and the ploy edge tends to be weak when it comes to scraping my paved driveway down to bare tar. There is a nice 1/4" pack I just can't scrape. I used to be able to adjust the "attack" angle on the old Fisher buy using the lowest holes for the mounting pins. No such luck with the quick mount system.

I need a deflector! Last night the snow was blowing up over the hood, not fun (OK maybe a little :D )

The "Electric Hydraulic" system is nice but it produces quite a drain when angling and lifting. Not much I can do there accept maybe get a better alternator or just deal with the occasional dim lights.

The cutting edge won't last long. Thank GOD the ground was frozen. I can't imagine what my edge would look like if this was heavy wet snow on soft ground. At least I can flip it over to double its life.

All-in-all pretty happy and tired :sleeping:

-Henri

toyplow3.jpg

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

hbrady,

This recent snow really packed down. NO PLOW, even BIG State plows cant get up hard packed snow. Just the nature of snow. But like I said, this storm really packed down.

Also, the more its driven on, the worse this packing down is.

So, there really isn't a problem with your plows abilities, its just a common problem.

A snow deflector would help you greatly, as your plow doesn't have a high moldboard to begin with.

Good Luck

3. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

hbrady,

I would definately get a bigger alternator, take it from me, if you wait or put up with the dim lights, kiss you current alternator good bye. I will not be able to handle that constant demand and will ending up smoked in the near futrue.:cry:

4. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

Since the dealer told me to get this plow I'll just make them replace it until I'm out of warranty :p

5. phoenix827

phoenix827 Member

I can vouch for this. I went thru 2 alternators and 3 batteries in my car before the auto parts store pointed out that 600 wats of lightbar, another 55 on the dash and about 500-600 wats of stereo, plus Cb, scanner, etc didn't make a 85 amp alt happy!:eek:

6. t4dodge

t4dodge Member

H-man!

Question for ya... Do you have any headlight wiring diagrams with that plow?? The Tacomas use switched grounds for their headlights... Can you take any pictures of what the dealer added for lighting connections??

7. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

John:

Can you send me your e-mail address (PM?). I found the diagram but it was a pretty rough photo copy they game me. I scanned it but in order for you to read it I had to make it about 900K (too large to post).

-Henri

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i use the yellow top optima battery deep cycle with a 100 am alternator

9. t4dodge

t4dodge Member

Here's one of my email addys you can send it to new_england_ttora@yahoo.com

10. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I bought a 200 amp alternator for my V-10, used an additional 4 gage wire from the alternator to the positive side of the battery and an additional 4 gage ground, when the plow is moving all light going, and defroster running the lights do not dim what so ever. My orig. alternator was a 135 amps, it was obviously way to small for all the power now needed.:)

11. Plow Daddy

Plow Daddy Junior Member

I am currently debating a POLY cutting edge. I have a steel cutting edge that will need to be replaced soon (might make this season with the one I have). One of the questions I have is, will the Poly edge cut to the pavement like the Steel edge. Also when it comes to back blading, how does the Poly edge compare to a steel. I have a Meyer plow and like most plows there is no down force except for the weight of the plow itself, but since I have a Jeep, I only need to back blade a section of about 8'-10' before I can turn my Jeep around and push it forward.

I also have had the drain on the electrical system problem. As I post this a buddy of mine is installing a heavy duty alternator and I already installed a deep cycle yellow top Optima battery. The battery I purchased from tna-sports.com as it was the cheapest I found even with the shipping and handling fee. I can't wait to see the difference once the next snow storm hits. Hopefully no more, dim lights, loss of stereo, slowing of plow movement the longer I am out, and watching my volt meter dip down to low levels. I will let you know how I made out once I get to test it.